• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Re Cemetery

mrsghjun

proper brummie kid
Hi everyone I have a document from 1920 detailing where a grave is - it looks like Willow Cemetery? Could this be right and if so, where was it and does it survive and where the records be? Any help much appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you - it does look like Witton. You Brummies are an impressive resource :)
So now I know where my Great Great Great Aunt Clara is buried together with her nephew, who having managed to survive the Great War died later of pneumonia and emphysema having earlier caught the Spanish Flu epidemic. Does anyone think they would have any headstones, they were terribly poor.

hi its most unlikey that there is a headstone and could have been buried in a common grave with others do you know if clara and newphew were buried at the same time ? i would suggest that you phone witton cem up and give them the names and years of those who are buried as in my experience they will get back to you giving you the section numbers etc of where your folk are buried...good luck

lyn

Thank you Lyn. No it's a private grave, the document I have relates to costs for grave upkeep. GG Aunt Clara died in 1920 and Frederick Hodson, her nephew in 1923.

Thank you Lyn. No it's a private grave, the document I have relates to costs for grave upkeep. GG Aunt Clara died in 1920 and Frederick Hodson, her nephew in 1923.
ahh i see well in that case someone in the family had money to order up a private grave but it may not have a headstone...are you actually trying to find out where in witton the grave is situated if you are and the documents do not give you this information then again i suggest you phone witton who i have always found very helpful...if you would like me to post a map of witton just let me know

lyn

Last edited:
ahh i see well in that case someone in the family had money to order up a private grave but it may not have a headstone...are you actually trying to find out where in witton the grave is situated if you are and the documents do not give you this information then again i suggest you phone witton who i have always found very helpful...if you would like me to post a map of witton just let me know

lyn
You're so kind Lyn, yes a map would be good. Thx.

what details does the document you have give you...does it at least give you the section number if it does then witton should be able to tell you the grave number...here is the map my grandad is in section 3 along the ridgeway wall but dont forget there are many burials to a section so you will need the grave number to pinpoint where they are buried...lyn

Witton Cem Map2015.jpg

Hello Lyn they are both in Section 31 and I have the grave numbers. Thank you so much for your help.

Hello Lyn they are both in Section 31 and I have the grave numbers. Thank you so much for your help.
ahh so very close to my grandad in section 3...if you plan to visit its best to use the ridgeway entrance

lyn

Thought you might like to see Great Great Aunt Clara whose grave we found, she was a proper Brummie. She was blind, she brought up our Great Aunts Lydia and Grace and their brothers when their mother died. She lived in Balsall Heath and caned chairs and our Great Aunts were tailoresses and also post ladies on their bikes (first lady member of the CTC) but that's another story...she had a reputation for being a bit fearsome. Good to know where she rests God bless her.

Attachments

• great great aunt clara.png
    great great aunt clara.png
    846 KB · Views: 12
Back