• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Re: Airfield Protection

Oisin

gone but not forgotten
It would seem the picture of my engineless car on this thread: https://tinyurl.com/yzzhuw has caused some discussion. It has been suggested that it may have been as part of our wartime defences where old cars were parked in fields likely to be used as airfields by invading forces. This picture shows a typical line up...

OldCars.jpg

My original picture was taken somewhere in Essex, close to Southend, maybe even Canvey Island. Wherever, it seems, all those years after the war, there was still an RAF presence in the area... This picture of one of the first jet planes was taken nearby...

LightningJet.jpg

Anybody got any ideas or information on this?
avions010.gif

Re: THE CARS WE OWNED

Naah, I know it's a Meteor. I was looking for more information on cars obstructing airfields during the war.
tomcat9kv.gif

Paul, Cars from scrapyards all over place were placed in fields that were considered at risk as anti-glider obstructions

Oisin these photo's show clearly what the cars were put in  the fields for as you can see the wrecked cars are staked down with wire to stop gliders landing
the bottom photo shows the metal hoops that were put on roads to stop gliders and planes landing

Back