• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brighton Place Winson Green Road

sarunte43

master brummie
I would like to know if anyone is familiar with 3 Brighton Place, Winson Green, Birmingham? My grandfather and his parents are listed in 1881 census as living there.
SR

In the 1883 Kellys, the list of places includes Brighton place in whitmore st, which could almost be called winson Green , perhaps. It does not mention it further, which would indicate for me that it was perhaps the name of a block in the street numbered in the street numbering system, rather than a separate row off the street.
Mike

According to the 1912 Electoral roll, Brighton Place was between nos. 7 and 13 Winson Green Road, which would place it almost at the Dudley Road end, on the right hand side going down from Dudley Road.

From Lloyd's information brighton terrace must be the one marked in red below. Presumably no 3 was the third from the street end.
Mike

3_brighton_terrace_winsson_gr_rd_c_1903~0.jpg

going on that calulation it could have been the jewlers shop or
the seed shop that sold pigeon corn plants etc and it was painted green
there again i am trying to remember from head i do remember the off licene,
was on the corner but i do not know whether there adress came under the dudley rd
after all it was facing the police station so impretty certain that the jewler was no i
then there was a batch of house and it would have been one of those house before the seed shop best wishes astonian ,;;

From Lloyd's information brighton terrace must be the one marked in red below. Presumably no 3 was the third from the street end.
Mike

That plan fits the electoral roll exactly, here I've enlarged it and put the Winson Green Road house numbers, and the 'Place' names as listed in the E.R. by their entries. (All the 'Places' were houses 1-4, WGR numbers are odd only [3/5/7/9/11 etc])

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post - but can anyone tell me where "Ashley Street" Birmingham 1. was or is. Miriam.

The only Ashley St I can find is B5 If that is the one it ran between Bristol St and Pershore Rd see map

Lloyd I think part of the Sommerfield Center is a neighbourhood office where my daughter in law used to work?. Jean.

Thankyou silversayers - I was trying to help a friend but he still says it was B'Ham 1 and it was [maybe] bomb in 1941/ Miriam.

My 1932 map gives the same information as my 1946 map there is only Ashley St B5

I do thank you - Mke G. I have informed my friend of the information I have received from you and sliversayer - he thanks you also.

Miriam.:)

Back