• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Razor Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use to merchandise razor blades and I noticed that the old fashioned razor blades I think there was 5 in a pack was always selling out so when the rep came in I asked him why this was as I thought everyone went for the new up to date razors he told me that even though a lot of men still use them for shaving he also said a lot of drug dealers use them to cut there stash up and I know it's a bit off thread but we also had trouble with the liquid air fresheners being stolen till we found out they use the liquid to mix with their drugs before injecting themselves with it .

There was a fashion (maybe still is for some) for the wearing of a razor blade, presumably imitation and decorative. I asked a friend why they would wear this form of adornment and I was told that it had a drug use connection.

Now in the early 1920's when men were boys, and boys were men.
6 - 10 year olds could play with there favorite toy Meccano
and make some scissors or a knife using old razor blades !!!!!
In the late 20's it was a bit safer with one side covered Penknifescissors or knife 1920s.JPGpenknife.JPG.

My husband cut himself on one of those multi-bladed razors when little rubber blade came off. He used his styptic (alum stick) to stop the blood and it broke. I went to get him another and couldn't find one so I asked the assistant who said No we don't have them anymore, they are a bit "old school"! I replied "Well he is 84"!
I'm going to put the two bits in an old lipsalve tube.
rosie.

My husband cut himself on one of those multi-bladed razors when little rubber blade came off. He used his styptic (alum stick) to stop the blood and it broke. I went to get him another and couldn't find one so I asked the assistant who said No we don't have them anymore, they are a bit "old school"! I replied "Well he is 84"!
rosie.
1645883972711.pngA****n sell them

rosie.
One of these will do https://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/en_gb/edwin-jagger-alum-block.html

The Full Story​

Styptic pencils stop bleeding by hardening or coagulating the surface of a wound, just like a scab.
A styptic pencil is often formulated with aluminum salts like aluminum sulfate, potassium aluminum sulfate, or sodium aluminum sulfate. . Styptic pencils work by separating proteins in the blood, causing it to clot more effectively. The aluminum powder compounds are formed into a short pencil shape to be kept nearby when someone is shaving. When a cut happens, you run the pencil under water and then hold it to the cut for a few seconds. The bleeding should stop quickly, and the process can be repeated again if needed. The user is likely to feel a stinging sensation but there is minimal absorption of aluminum into the human body.
:grinning:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, the last one was only £1, probably why it broke!
I used to watch Grandad with his cutthroat razor, he never cut himself and he used his wide leather belt as a strop. When Dad was ill and unable to shave I used Bics and I never cut him either!!
rosie.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, the last one was only £1, probably why it broke!
I used to watch Grandad with his cutthroat razor, he never cut himself and he used his wide leather belt as a strop. When Dad was ill and unable to shave I used Bics and I never cut him either!!
rosie.
after my experience with a cut throat i too use bics less blood loss:(:(

I had a shave with a cut throat razor when I was in Egypt by an Egyptian barber. :eek:
My dad had a little glass tool for sharpening the three hole safety blades, a glass block with a half round concave top, you put the blade in and rubbed it back and forth.

Attachments

• Sharp.jpg
    Sharp.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2
Well as someone still learning how to shave (78) and thinking about too many things while I am, I have given up on those pencils because I never have one when I really need one.

Moving into the 21st century I use a hair dryer. Just blow on low heat for a few minutes and it coagulates the blood very quickly! Try it it really works!
I used to travel globally for my work and there was a hair dryer in every room. These days I don’t really need a dryer I just wait a few minutes and I am good to go :cool:

Thanks for all the good ideas!

Back in the mists of time, when I had enough hair to need a barber, I was regularly 'finished' round the back with a cut throat razor. Thwack Thwack on the strop, scratchy scraping on the neck. Sting of a styptic pencil.

Andrew.

are single sided blades better then the twin sided blades for shaving?.

Last edited:
I still use a cutthroat razor and have done so for many years. I think there is a lot of hype and marketing about twin and triple blade razors, the good old safety razor can give you as good a shave as anything and they are as cheap as chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back