• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Raymond Huntley - Actor

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
Remember this face from the TV series 'Upstairs, Downstairs'. His name is Raymond Huntley and he was born in Birmingham in 1904.
he made his stage debut at the Birmingham Repertory Theatre in 1922.

The son of Alfred and Fannie

Anyone else know more of his Birmingham roots?

He was a brilliant actor. I didn't know he was born in Birmingham.

His career stretched back over decades. It seems he started out at age 18 at the Birmingham Repertory Theatre which would be in 1922. I had no idea he was from Birmingham either.

Terry, in 1901 Alfred and Fanny (Walsh) Huntley, Raymond's parents were living at Lawnside, Woodstock Road, Mosely, in the Kings Norton district which was then in Worcestershire. Alfred was a Commercial Traveler with three children Robert 13 Dora 11 and Alfred 8, Fanny's sister a school board mistress was living with the family. They also had a servant living at the house. Alfred was born in London, Fanny and the children were all born in Birmingham.

It would be interesting to find out how Raymond became an actor, and where he was educated.

Last edited:
Raymond Francis was inspector Lockhart in the series 'No Hiding Place' which ran from 1959 to 1967.

Di.Poppitt, thanks for the information. I have no special interest in Raymond Huntley. I watched a film this week on TV called 'The Way Ahead' about a bunch of conscripts in WW2... David Niven, Stanley Holloway etc and I happened to google the names of the cast and found that Raymond was born in Brum. I thought it would make another name for the famous people of Birmingham thread.

Terry

It would be interesting to find out how Raymond became an actor, and where he was educated.[/quote]

Bet it wasn't Dennis Road

I recall seeing Raymond in an old black and white film playing the part of a wartime German officer but don't recall the title. I seem to think Rex Harrison was in the same film.

Thanks jennyann that was the film. It used to turn up during the aftrenoon on Film Four channel quite often.
Mike

Good Mike. Glad you are able to watch some of the old movies too. On the one of the US cable channels they play movies 24/7. They often take a star and then play three or four of their best movies one after the other. Sometimes though they will play the same movies over and over on another channel. I could probably audition for "The Guns of Naverone" if there were any women of note in the film. It's been on so often on one cable channel. They put on Jimmy Stewart last night in "A Wonderful Life".
Didn't watch but some people love that movie anytime of year.

Back