• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ravenscroft Family

P

pagedc

My great grandfather was Edward James Ravenscroft, born around 1852. He was married to Betsy Taylor. In the 1891 census they were living at 100 Cooksey Road, Bordesley, Birmingham. Edward was listed as a "lampmaker", probably a leaded glass craftsman. He had seven children; Florence (my grandmother), Richard, Eliza, John, George, Alice, and Edward. I believe some of his sons were in the Coldstream Guards. Any information on this family would be wonderful.:):)

Edward James Ravenscroft b 1852

1861 census

9 Stafford Street Birmingham

John Ravenscroft age 44
Eliza age 43
William Jacob 18
Sarah Ann 17
Mary 15
Edward James 9
John H 6 months
was unable to read occupation B****ing maker and when I referred back to 1851 it is Blacking maker.I looked at old occupations and a Blacking maker made black boot polish out of soot.

A John Ravenscroft married Eliza Garrison in 1836 Edgbaston.

Have been unable to find the family in 1871

Edward married Betsy in 1872

1881 368 Bolton Road,Aston
Edward James Ravenscroft age 29 Lampmaker
Betsey age 28
Florry age 5
Richard age 3
Eliza age 1

1901 Cooksey road
Edward is 49 a Ships lampmaker
Betsy age 48
Alice age 15
Harold Martin age 23 son in law
Eliza Martin age 21 daughter
Gladys Martin age 2 grand daughter

John Ravenscroft

Thanks for the info. It is helpful.
John Ravenscroft, according to family rumour did have something to do with "blacking" shoe polish. Apparently this blacking was also used to clean iron grates. I'm sure he is my great, great grandfather. How did you find out about a marriage in 1836. I thought there was no way to track B/M/D info before 1837. I am in Ontario, Canada and not really literate on all the U.K. sites.
pagedc

Last edited by a moderator:
My great grandfather was Edward James Ravenscroft, born around 1852. He was married to Betsy Taylor. In the 1891 census they were living at 100 Cooksey Road, Bordesley, Birmingham. Edward was listed as a "lampmaker", probably a leaded glass craftsman. He had seven children; Florence (my grandmother), Richard, Eliza, John, George, Alice, and Edward. I believe some of his sons were in the Coldstream Guards. Any information on this family would be wonderful.:):)
You could check out the Ravenscroft tree on ancestry it is open for public read access it may help as I take it further back in time.

Welcome to the forum David.
The original poster of the thread pagedc was a guest back in 2008 so we have no way of knowing if he/she has viewed since that time .
Hopefully they will visit us again and register as a member.

Welcome to the forum David.
The original poster of the thread pagedc was a guest back in 2008 so we have no way of knowing if he/she has viewed since that time .
Hopefully they will visit us again and register as a member.
Never hurts to add information, others may find it useful as we all try to rediscover where we came from. Thanks for your response.

Back