• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ravenhurst street in the 50's and 60's

Nick clarke

proper brummie kid
Hi everyone I am a brand new member and I am looking for your help please. My dad is 72 this month and was brought up on ravenhurst street as a young lad. He is desperate to find pictures of said street from when he was a lad. Please can anyone help with this
thanks in advance
Nick

Hi Nick,

Welcome to you, we are talking about Ravenhurst St Camp Hill are we not? These are all that I have.

Attachments

• Camp Hill Brewer & Baker Ravenhurst St.jpg
    Camp Hill Brewer & Baker Ravenhurst St.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Camp Hill Mosley Arms Ravenhurst St .jpg
    Camp Hill Mosley Arms Ravenhurst St .jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Camp Hill Ravenhurst Alms Houses.jpg
    Camp Hill Ravenhurst Alms Houses.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Camp Hill Ravenhurst St Almshouses.JPG
    Camp Hill Ravenhurst St Almshouses.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 103
Nick I have more of the surrounding area if he would like to see those, where did he live on Ravenhurst St ?

Hi Phil
sorry took so long to get back. He used to live opposite the alms houses at no 68. About a third of the way up from the brewer and baker. Any pictures from around that area would be fantastic.
Thanks so much, the brewer and baker one made his day!!
Nick

Last edited:
You didn't live far from the brewer & Baker then, I'm sure that you will both recognise these local sights.

Attachments

• Camp Hill  Adam & Eve Bradford St .jpg
    Camp Hill Adam & Eve Bradford St .jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Camp Hill Ravenhurst St.jpg
    Camp Hill Ravenhurst St.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 94
  • Camp Hill Stratford Rd 1971 .jpg
    Camp Hill Stratford Rd 1971 .jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Highgate Highgate Park 1932.JPG
    Highgate Highgate Park 1932.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 88
Unfortunately I don't but dad is loving these pics. He is desperate to get one of his house I think but that will be a massive long shot

My Mom, Nellie Eborn opened this café with the owner Tom Whitecross. I worked for him in his hardware shop on the opposite side a few doors down for about a year waiting on National Service call-up about 1955/6.
Happy days!!

Hi Tim
We used to go in there every day of the week for our dinner and breakfast,s my mate Albert hawks and myself
We repaired all those roofs you see in that street and the surrounding streets right across the board from there right through to Lee bank
There was never a roof missed st lukes road belgrave road the complete area we was the roofers from Divis, the builders from
Wrentham street next to the picture house we spent a lot of money in there the breakies was big and plenty
Got your moneys woth there I was the slaters mate Albert was the master roofer if its okay to mention his name was hawks
We used to go around on his motor bike me on the back and tools in the side car we even went up to Lee bank area to a cafe there as well
I think that was one of bobs cafe whom had them all around brum in every area even next to bullpitts factory and pershore red
Does anybody knew is surname this mystery Bob of all coffee shops around brum
Always guarenteed a good cuppa at your cafe Tim, best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,

Hi Tim thanks for your post. I'll get my dad to read it. He was born in 41 so he may have been around the same time. Do you have any more pictures of the area please?
Thanks Nick

Hi Tim thanks for your post. I'll get my dad to read it. He was born in 41 so he may have been around the same time. Do you have any more pictures of the area please?
Thanks Nick

Hi Nick

My dad also lived on Ravenhurst St between 1945-
1967 at number 82. He remembers the cafe and quite a few other things. He is 70 this year so only a couple of years younger than your dad. Get in touch if you want.
Regards
Mick

Hi Nick

1967 at number 82. He remembers the cafe and quite a few other things. He is 70 this year so only a couple of years younger than your dad. Get in touch if you want.
Regards
Mick[/QUOTE
Hi Mick what is your Dads name? I'll ask mine if he knows him
thanks for posting
Nick

Hi Nick

Regards
Mick[/QUOTE
Hi Mick what is your Dads name? I'll ask mine if he knows him
thanks for posting
Nick

Hi Nick
My dad's name is Michael Fellows. He is the eldest of four who lived there along with their parents..Charlie and Frances. His younger siblings are Philip, Anthony and Susan. His grandfather Alfred owned and llived at Fellows and Sons shop that was on Digbeth high street past the Rainbow. He sold second hand furniture and petshop.
My dad has told me lots about the street and more about their house as it had some strange past before they moved in.
Keep us posted and thanks for the prompt reply.
Reagrds
Mick

Hi Nick
My dad's name is Michael Fellows. He is the eldest of four who lived there along with their parents..Charlie and Frances. His younger siblings are Philip, Anthony and Susan. His grandfather Alfred owned and llived at Fellows and Sons shop that was on Digbeth high street past the Rainbow. He sold second hand furniture and petshop.
My dad has told me lots about the street and more about their house as it had some strange past before they moved in.
Keep us posted and thanks for the prompt reply.
Reagrds
Mick
Ps. What is your dad's name?

Hi All,
Nice to see this site still alive. Don't know why but seem to have missed the action back in October.
As you may have worked out it was Michael who posted the picture.
I came to Oz as a 10 pound Pom on what I thought was going to be a working holiday, but liked it so much I stayed on, got married etc.
Have no photos as all the stuff I left behind was sorted out by the family, but that's the way it goes. Still have memories but they get a bit hazy as time goes by.
Cheers Tim

Hi Nick,

Welcome to you, we are talking about Ravenhurst St Camp Hill are we not? These are all that I have.
Photo 3 shows the Alms Houses, also mentioned in the Alms Houses thread but no photos of the building in that thread.
It looks quite an old building, with those fine Dutch style gables. 19th.century? An article in the Birmingham Post, 2013, gives some pleasing information. At least is hasn't ended up in the cities demolished brick mountain - wherever that is!
https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/lifestyle/birminghams-hidden-spaces-modest-ravenhurst-6445197
Bill Dargue also gives quite a fair amount of detail about the place and surrounding area.

Last edited:
closest i can get so far..

cheapside from the corner of ravenhust st and cheapside from near ravenhurst st..1960 and 68

lyn

Attachments

• cheapside from the corner of ravenhust st.jpg
    cheapside from the corner of ravenhust st.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 33
  • cheapside nr ravenhurst st.jpg
    cheapside nr ravenhurst st.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
as this request may relate to a living person please reply via our private message system

thank you

lived on ravenhurst street oppisite the brewer and baker no 50 my nan lived 45 im 60 now would love to see the row of houses thanks

Back