• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rationing

Colin
Note the coupons are for child's clothes, so you might have a job getting into them !

I don't know why I missed this thread before but I grew up during the war and I never remember going hungry, there was six of us and my mother ensured we always had a breakfast, cooked dinner every night, and always a roast dinner on Sundays followed by a pudding. Nothing was ever wasted, mom worked at Hercules and would buy a dinner from the canteen, but if there was a pudding she would bring it home in a basin to share. I can remember running down to stand in the queue to save a place for my mother if news went round that there was tomatoes, or fruit on sale at Griffins in Newtown Row. Expectant mothers were given priority in the queues. I didn't taste ice cream until just after the war, I had chicken pox and was confined to the house, but a neighbour Mrs. Clark bought me a home made ice cream from the brown tiled cafe opposite Burlington Hall in High Street, Aston.

BTW did anyone notice Father Christmas second left in the queue for tinned food in the photo in the first post of this thread?

Has anyone got any photos of ration books and what they could get with them. All the previous photos have gone. Would be really grateful, Thanks.

February 1942 - Soap rationing started.
September 1950 - Soap rationing ended.
I was a child growing to my early teens by 1950 and I never noticed !! ....:friendly_wink:

The only thing I remember was sweet rationing finishing, and getting a banana some time in the early 50's which mom said I treated with great suspicion and only eating a little of it.

Paul, I too remember being given my first banana to eat, probably late 40's. The memory is vivid and I can remember exactly where I was sitting when Mom gave one to me. Like you I wondered what it was she was giving me to eat!

Judy

Comment about bananas reminds me of my first taste I mentioned earlier here in the topic. In some photos I posted elsewhere on the forum, I look well nourished but I think it must have the lovely bread and real 'beef dripping' sandwiches which we used to eat.

Not old enough to recall rationing, but love dripping on toast, relic from my great aunts!! Mom says the same about her first banana as the rest of you lol! Also from rationing days my g. aunts always had a stew pot on in the scullery, anthing and everything went in it and it was always simmering, never tasted anything like it, best comfort food ever!
Sue

I remember, during rationing, how every shop had a little pair of scissors on a bit of string for cutting the coupons out of the ration books.

You had to have enough "points" before you could buy certain articles.

The Black Market must've been thriving in the factories too. I remember my Dad bringing home some dried bananas once. Another time it was dried Locust Beans.

Anything that was sweet was welcome !

An end of rationing pic from the 'old evening mail pics' thread....
img087_renamed_31509.jpg

Don't those boxes under the counter look sumptious? I'm assuming they're boxes of chocs, but now I think about it, maybe they're cigars! Viv.

Back