• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

RASC photos

It's all the diffferent angles they're worn at that get me!
They all have such characterful faces. There are some refugees from Ealing Comedies there, I'm sure.
maria

The old KD issue Beret, my father said he would have rather died, than wear his anywhere, and in fact every photo we have he is wearing his forage cap.

I can`t speak for the RAF or Navy but army uniforms were an ill fitting mess. As soon as i got to Germany i had my BD & number 2 uniform tailored & what a difference it made to feeling smart. My number 2 hat i used to fold down at the sides (like the officers do) & again it made you feel so much smarter. I also got hold of some stuff from a Canadian soldier which looked like a bottle of ink with a little brush, & that would give a great shine to boots & shoes & it didn`t chip or flake.

I know what you mean Smudge,Baz, I was very lucky being in the Foot Guards as our No 2's were always tailored after Basic, the bad part was that after L/Sgts rank, (full screw), you had to buy No1's which, if you could not get a second hand one your size, were horrifically expensive. My son referes to all berets not red as "Crap Hats".

It's all the diffferent angles they're worn at that get me!
They all have such characterful faces. There are some refugees from Ealing Comedies there, I'm sure.
maria

The last group photo, (they're not all RASC are they ?), the Prize for The Daftest Hat I award to the sergeant sitting front right.
(It was a difficult decision though !).

The last group photo, (they're not all RASC are they ?), the Prize for The Daftest Hat I award to the sergeant sitting front right.
(It was a difficult decision though !).

Are they not all RASC? I couldn't make out all the badges. There's nothing written on the back, and dad isn't here now. Could some of them be REME by any chance?
Agree about the hat!!

Thinking about it and having had a closer look, it might be that the badges that I thought were from other regiments could, in fact, be the wartime bakelite pattern.
Some of the men don't seem to have a cap badge at all.

I can't see any badges of rank at all.
In those days, in working dress, it was usual to wear stripes on a removeable armband.
A warrant officer would wear his rank on his right wrist.

maypolebaz, thinking about what you and Old Boy said about uniforms, etc. Army hierarchy is fascinating but alien to me, and I don't know a lot about uniform...would an officer never be seen to 'unbend' in terms of uniform, even in the heat? (I know there were tropical whites).
I also wondered whether during the Second World War officers still had batmen, or had that died out?
Sorry if those are silly questions.
maria

Looking at photos taken during WW2 Maria I think the relationship between officers and their men was more relaxed than when I was in the army, (1957-1980).
During my time, officers were required to maintain a certain aloofness, although they could still be friendly and they were allways to appear properly dressed.. They were required to set an example, that was the point.
I'm not sure about WW2 but most Gunner officers had batmen right up to the end of National Service.

Looking at photos taken during WW2 Maria I think the relationship between officers and their men was more relaxed than when I was in the army, (1957-1980).
During my time, officers were required to maintain a certain aloofness, although they could still be friendly and they were allways to appear properly dressed.. They were required to set an example, that was the point.
I'm not sure about WW2 but most Gunner officers had batmen right up to the end of National Service.

Thank you, that's interesting.
maria

Think Jim is correct.

Topolino_2.jpg

With thanks to autobelle.it

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Back