• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

RASC photos

Maria Magenta

master brummie
Near the fort small.jpgI've got quite a lot of these.
On the back Dad has written: 'See the ruins of the Fort (something beginning with A) in the background.'

(Looks like Agenda or August!)

View attachment 92976No information, but he has to be an officer, I think.
Hello Maria,

I doubt that he is an officer. Had he been his badges of rank would be on his epaulettes. He is more likely to have been a sergeant or sergeant major with his stripes hidden by his rolled up sleeves. The title 'Camp Bully' would also fit an NCO rather than a commissioned officer.

Old Boy

Hello Maria,

I doubt that he is an officer. Had he been his badges of rank would be on his epaulettes. He is more likely to have been a sergeant or sergeant major with his stripes hidden by his rolled up sleeves. The title 'Camp Bully' would also fit an NCO rather than a commissioned officer.

Old Boy

I can't see any badges of rank at all.
In those days, in working dress, it was usual to wear stripes on a removeable armband.
A warrant officer would wear his rank on his right wrist.

The old KD issue Beret, my father said he would have rather died, than wear his anywhere, and in fact every photo we have he is wearing his forage cap.

The troops hated those hats, (I think they were called bonnets), they thought they looked like a cow pat. Hence the name "crap hat".

Back