• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rainy days

celia

master brummie
The weather here in Tamworth has been awful these last two days all it has done is rain.
This limits what I can do.
Going out is a no no because nether of the dogs like getting wet
Pottering around the garden is off because it looks like a bog at the moment
So I find myself trawling through channels of drivel on the TV and wasting time on the internet looking at cute cat videos

I found myself this afternoon thinking back to when I was a kid and what we used to do when we had a wet afternoon or few days and we couldn't go out to play.
We didn't have any laptops or I phones or Xboxes or face book like the kids of today have that keep them entertained what ever the weather

We made our own entertainment
If we wasn't drawing or colouring in then we were painting or gluing
We made dens out of a clothes horse and blankets
We could read or make models out of salt dough
We could help our mom's to bake cakes
And if we were very lucky and our mother's would brave the rain we would go to the museum or the pictures to while away an afternoon

So what did you do as child to while away a rainy day or afternoon
what happy memories have you got share

I remember the dens Celia, in fact when we have our grandaughter Daisy to stay Grandad makes one in the living room, she loves it.

As children I don't remember being bored, no all day childrens TV, no video games , crikey how did we survive, LOL.

Alberta you are so right
we didn't have all day kids TV we were lucky if we got a Cpl of hours after school before the news came on. Now they have their own kids TV channel dedicated to bringing then 24 hours a day 7 days a week
And we didn't have video games either don't think they were even invented lol
but survive we did because we entertained our self if we didn't our mothers could always find us something to do lol

Rosie
rain drop racing
It was fun for five minutes till a puddle formed on the window sill because the window frame leaked and you ended up getting wet sleeves lol
but still fun

Also did rain drop racing, two ball up the nearest wall (Inky Pinky Ponky etc.), skipping, handstands up the wall, balancing on the concrete and metal pole fencing around the flats in Overgreen Drive, putting on shows asking 1d entrance fee and spending the 1ds on refreshments, collecting rose petals and making 'perfume', roller skating from the back door of the flats down to the gardens (wish I could do it now) and loads of housework or looking after younger siblings. Just remember Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben, The Woodentops etc for half an hour on Watch with Mother when I managed to skive a day off school but still had to polish brasses and the floor. Used to sit in front of the fan heater so I had red cheeks and convince Mom I had a temperature. Memories.....

Went to Sunday School in the afternoon when we got home Mom used to let us roll the runner up in the hall and we used to skid up and down on the lino it was a small hall so you can imagine 9 kids going up and down great fun........

the smiths
9 kids good lord
always someone to play with or argue with lol
skidding on the lino in just your socks sounds like fun

ann watton
I used to be good at handstands daren't do it now
and I remember playing two ball up the wall and collecting rose petals to make perfume it never smelled like my moms perfume lol
and ive never been any good at roller skating, ice skating yes at silver blades but could never keep my balance on roller boots lol

I had forgot about making perfume that was good fun. Ice skating at Silver Blades loved it. Sliding down the bannister still can't resist it when I see a long one should know better at my age good fun.

spent many a happy Saturday morning at silver blades with my sister and best friend
sliding down a bannister I've always wanted to try the but daren't I can just hear my mother saying if you fall and break your neck don't come running to me lol

Well we had a dartboard and snooker table which put on top of the dinner table. Sometimes the Dansette was put on and we could listen and learn to rock and roll to Bill Haley, or we had our comics to read, but never bored - we weren't allowed to be otherwise a job would be found for us.

Corking with a cotton reel and four nails, what did we do with all those multicoloured tubes of wool, making pom-poms with card board circles.
Cutting a potato in half and making a pattern in the cut end, dipping it in watercolour and stamping on drawing paper.
Recalling all this has made me want to teach my grandaughter,, which could be useful as they forecast loads of rain in November, LOL.

Last edited:
Never let the rain stop me from going out, in fact I loved cycling in the rain especially over the Welsh hill tops in a south westerly storm!

Corking with a cotton reel and four nails, what did we do with all those multicoloured tubes of wool, making pom-poms with card board circles.
Cutting a potato in half and making a pattern in the cut end, dipping it in watercolour and stamping on drawing paper.
Recalling all this has made me want to teach my grandaughter,, which could be useful as they forecast loads of rain in November, LOL.
All of those things you mentioned Alberta my daughter in law teaches when it is a craft session at school. Peter remembers doing corking when he was a child. Jean.

I had a "dressing-up" box. My Aunt gave me an old evening dress, it wasn't suitable to be altered for anything. I wanted some ballet shoes so I made them out of an old pair of socks and some ribbon!!
rosie.

Back