• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rainbow Pub, High st Bordesley

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
I have read an article in todays evening mail that some residents
whom surposingly live local in some flats are trying to get the pub closed down and it wouldnt surprize me if they did
and i reconon it would become another chinise take away
after all the only the only commutity flats are those built by st anns church and i think the father tafts comunal block
for the poor people other wise its all industrel surroundings
i have passed there many a night and theres never a soul around
i cannot see the poor people complaining china town is abit over crowed now so perhaps they want to extend the rainbow as been there for years its been a thriving pub in the past and also its had it dull moments much to my surprize they say its noisey
that i cannot beleive i have known many gathers there over the years past and present if it goes it.s another pub thats bit the dust save our pub campayne is needed just like the real ale campayne what do our pub crawlers think off our forum
best wishes astonian ;;

https://tinyurl.com/c3f4gq
See report above from the Post. The Rainbow is not your run of the mill type of pub but is used for live music etc and mostly serves a young clientele. If the pub was there first i think that you would have known what you where letting your self in for moving into an inner city location like this. The Spotted Dog has had the same problem and i believe there is an internet pettition that you can sign,

Brumgum.

interesting report in the post ...why is it that people buy houses apartments etc then complain about noise etc ...surely before they buy or rent they would check out these things? you dont buy a house next to a motor racing stadium and complain about engine noise :(loved the spoof vid:D

It's just the same as when people buy houses in the country and complain about the smell of animals or the ringing of the bells in the church next door. I haven't yet heard of anyone saying that farmers should stop growing corn because it gives them hay fever , but there's still time, and it wouldn't surprise me
Mike

Hi mike,
beleive it or not that as already started, well. Not the smell of
the wheat but they come out here in the country by a barn conversion or the cottage. What ever ,and if its by the village pub these city slickers or yuppies . What ever you want to call them they start wingeing about late night drinkers banging car doors when they come out
the country comunity is different from city people our folks don,t come out of the village pub singing or have any litter louts like the city folks
poppiing into tje take away shop co,s we don,t have them here at the lenches in the middle of no-where the yuppies are moving in up the lanes
and buying cottages across the lane the wth of the lane is about 40 yrds wide so close yet they are coming here complaining to our farmers about smell and noises of car dood banging as well should there be a monthly
womem,s instute meeting in the village they moan about the traffic
as you say why do you want to buy a house next to a pub ,
and these city folks should not come out here trying to tell country folk to change the way of life and complaing
what i say cty folk stay away if you don.t like the way we live ,
go and live up the welsh mountains is what i say if you want isolation ,
astonian ;;;

https://tinyurl.com/c3f4gq
See report above from the Post. The Rainbow is not your run of the mill type of pub but is used for live music etc and mostly serves a young clientele. If the pub was there first i think that you would have known what you where letting your self in for moving into an inner city location like this. The Spotted Dog has had the same problem and i believe there is an internet pettition that you can sign,

Brumgum.

I used to use the Rainbow in the late 1960's/early 70's when it was run by Mr Walsh. It was a lovely friendly pub, and served the best Guinness I have ever tasted. Does anyone know why it had a ram's head on the wall outside. I don't know if it (the rams head) is still there, - perhaps the pub had been renamed at some time.

Kind regards Dave

why has the rainbow public house digbeth have a rampant ram above door way has it allways been the rainbow. or does it have a conection to the old meat trade of birmingham:adoration:

Hi mike what about the fore years of the 1880 s when the bull ring first started I think I have a book with the early days of when the bull ring started in trading of cattle
And one of the drovers arms and some other early pic and topics of the first gathering of folk selling cattle
I will try and find out the book still prefers your answer tho mike as I know you always have the finger on the button
Great ,best wishes Alan,,,,Astonian,,,,,,

Alan
I was not saying there was no association, or that it was never called anything else, but just that it was still the Rainbow inn in the 1880s. Having looked back a bit further I can say it was still called that in 1845. The Ram might indeed, as suggested, have some association with the market. As I understand it cattle were often unloaded at Bordesley station, on the old never-completed viaduct and possibly taken through the streets, so in that case would have passed the pub

According to Andrew Maxam (Time Please) there has been a Rainbow listed there since 1767 the one that is there today is obviously a replacement for an older one. He says nothing about a name change at any time. As Mike says it's quite possible that sheep were herded past the pub from the rail stop at Upper Trinity St and herded down Adderley St onto Digbeth. It's possible that the shepherds may have met up in the Rainbow whilst waiting for the trains or even after they were delivered.

Attachments

• Bordesley Rainbow Bordesley High St.jpg
    Bordesley Rainbow Bordesley High St.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 43
  • rainbow.JPG
    rainbow.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 44
thank you all for help in this matter i have drunk in the rainbow a few times .but only noticed the ram while on the bus across the cov road while they changed driver it seems strange to pay for and errect quite a large carving and the fact the corner of the pub was made flat to accomadate the ram design. quite a mystery, hope we get to the bottom of it. once again thanks

could the ram be a brewery logo or a drink logo i/e ansells red squirrel m/bs leaping deer courage cockrell photo above shows it to be a atkinsons house do they have a link with the ram or was it drink rampant ram( definate mans drink) it started as a bit of fun. now i have to find out come on you brummies sombody MUST know

There seem to be other threads about the rainbow Digbeth

Hi RobT: Many thanks, Can you tell me from when to when he was the publican?
Sorry it doesn't say, it was recorded in the Kelly's for 1940, which was probably created in 1939.
pjmburns also said that Fras David Fleming was also the publican in 1936 directory, probably taken in 1935, and Harry Bayley was publican in 1930, 1932 & 1933.

Last edited:
Hi RobT: Many thanks, Can you tell me from when to when he was the publican? I`m trying to find a time line from 1938 to 1950
If he was listed in 1936 and 1940 then he must have been there in 1938. Directories online are scarce after 1940.

There seem to be other threads about the rainbow Digbeth

These threads are now merged with this one. Thanks Janice. Viv.

Hi RobT, Francis David Fleming died in 1941 (TB) can you tell me who took over?
As pjmburns says directories are rare after 1940, the next one I have is 1955 where it shows Chas. Gregory was the publican.
Do you have publican information for 1861-1915?

Hi RobT, Frances David Fleming (1896>1941). Gladys Elizabeth Fleming (1896>1974) took over as License from 1941>194?. As to the later date it must be later, as I remember being around. The next time I pick up Gladys is at the Wellington Inn (Bridge Street West) 1957>1966 (recorded). As she did a tour of duty at the Turks Head (194?>1957). Both these last 2 Pubs have been pulled down to make way for redevelopment.

Last edited:
Gladys elizabeth Fleming was still there in the 1946b Kellys (which would refer to 1945, but by the 1949 edition (refering to 1948) the landlord was listed as Sydney Price

Gladys elizabeth Fleming was still there in the 1946b Kellys (which would refer to 1945, but by the 1949 edition (refering to 1948) the landlord was listed as Sydney Price
Many thanks, So Gladys could be there till c1947-8?
Have you any Info. on The "Turks Head" which was in Lower High Street 206 Great Bridge West Bromwich Staff.

Birmingham directories do not cover west Bromwich. I have few that do, but no post ww2 ones

Back