• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Railway's in the 50's

mike jenks

master brummie
Hi

Not sure of this one but Railway's in the late 40's and early 50's
was all we had. For a few bob for a book that lasted years the hours
of excitement and Travel around Brum and the wider area by 12 i
new every nook and cranny where every road was Railway stations
played an important part. Later on the road i never got lost. My
SAT nav was in my head. Fit as fiddle walked for miles.
Have enclosed an article covering these happy days
No money just a bottle of pop.

Mike

I hope this thread produces some good reminiscences. As a 5 year old I had many a happy Sunday afternoon at Bentley Heath watching the traffic in and out of Snow Hill GWR. Trains used to come through there at a rate and often the driver was hanging on the whistle. It was the most exciting thing I had seen.

Several years later I used to spend a happy hour or two on a Saturday morning on New St station (1957-8) and the variety of locos and stock you used to see then and the frequency that trains came in and out of the station was phenomenal.

It inspired me to make my own models of 45556 Nova Scotia and 45538 Giggleswick. There must have been many others but those 2 stand out.

i had a friend at new st. he was a wheel taper. his shed was on the end of the platform just under the bridge, it was lit by gas .The lamp he used was a carbide lamp and a hammer similer to the ones below we would sit and talk to him eating burned roast spuds.that was done on a old stove.
41902NewStStn.jpg

dealer_Lancasterantiques_highres_1619178072879-5359503451.jpg
1636269141780.jpeg

i had a friend at new st. he was a wheel taper. his shed was on the end of the platform just under the bridge, it was lit by gas .The lamp he used was a carbide lamp and a hammer similer to the ones below we would sit and talk to him eating burned roast spuds.that was done on a old stove.
41902NewStStn.jpg

View attachment 163483
I can remember the wheel tapper going along the trains in New Street Station, must have been in the early 60’s.

I’m told it’s all done electronically now as the train is moving?

Yes! Now you've mentioned it, I can remember that too.
We didn't have a car until I was 12 so we used the trains to visit my Nan in Worcestershire and other relatives in Bournemouth in the 50's.

I hope this thread produces some good reminiscences. As a 5 year old I had many a happy Sunday afternoon at Bentley Heath watching the traffic in and out of Snow Hill GWR. Trains used to come through there at a rate and often the driver was hanging on the whistle. It was the most exciting thing I had seen.

Several years later I used to spend a happy hour or two on a Saturday morning on New St station (1957-8) and the variety of locos and stock you used to see then and the frequency that trains came in and out of the station was phenomenal.

It inspired me to make my own models of 45556 Nova Scotia and 45538 Giggleswick. There must have been many others but those 2 stand out.
As a nipper I use to get taken to Bentley Heath. Remember on one occasion getting invited into the signal box to operate the gates!

41902NewStStn.jpg

View attachment 163483
It's great to get first hand accounts of these trades (and tools) that have long since disappeared.

I'm also fascinated by the New St photo; what looks at first sight to be one of the ubiquitous Jinties shunting stock is apparently something different. Although not entirely clear, it SEEMS to be one of the rare 0-4-4 tanks propelling its "push-pull" train out of the station into the tunnel. Note the direction of the smoke! Only the fireman will be on the footplate; the driver will be in a driving cab at the other end of the train.

It's great to get first hand accounts of these trades (and tools) that have long since disappeared.

I'm also fascinated by the New St photo; what looks at first sight to be one of the ubiquitous Jinties shunting stock is apparently something different. Although not entirely clear, it SEEMS to be one of the rare 0-4-4 tanks propelling its "push-pull" train out of the station into the tunnel. Note the direction of the smoke! Only the fireman will be on the footplate; the driver will be in a driving cab at the other end of the train.
ta. did you notice in the railway children movie
As the engine approaches Bobbie in the 'landslide sequence' and comes to a halt, drifting steam is seen coming down from the sky and entering its funnel, indicating the shot is actually reversed footage of the train backing away from Bobbie so as to not endanger the actress by attempting a precision stop inches away from her.:grinning:

could be
1024px-W24Calbourne1.JPG

I can remember the wheel tapper going along the trains in New Street Station, must have been in the early 60’s.

I’m told it’s all done electronically now as the train is moving?
I used to marvel at the wheel tapper climbing between locos and platforms all day long. I wonder in hindsight what the mortality or injury rate was?

You're right, this is an 0-4-4 tank, but it's an Isle of Wight loco, a London & South Western O2. The 0-4-4 I had in mind was an LMS loco, one of only 10 built in 1932 and numbered in the 41900-9 series. Unfortunately the number on the loco in New St is too blurred to read.

41902NewStStn.jpg

View attachment 163483
In the above picture of New Street Station, with the train leaving the tunnel, are the gabled structures over the tunnels those on Worcester Street as the attached picture ?

Attachments

• E6D1B82E-989B-4C2E-9428-E08B639A1A45.jpeg
    E6D1B82E-989B-4C2E-9428-E08B639A1A45.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 14
A more distant view of Worcester St here, probably taken at around the same time (scaffolding to the right in both pictures)...

In the above picture of New Street Station, with the train leaving the tunnel, are the gabled structures over the tunnels those on Worcester Street as the attached picture ?
Correct. The far left one was built on the corner of Queens Drive and had the Railway's parcels offices on that side, but the next one (or two) were very thin, possibly just one room on each floor!

Attachments

• Worcester Street.jpg
    Worcester Street.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back