• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Railway infrastructure and engineering development

Yes, and in the foyer they used to have the nameplate off the steam engine - I think 'Sir William Stanier FRS' if I remember correctly. It had a lot of British Rail offices etc in there and they then subsequently transferred to Quayside Tower on Broad Street

Yes, and in the foyer they used to have the nameplate off the steam engine - I think 'Sir William Stanier FRS' if I remember correctly. It had a lot of British Rail offices etc in there and they then subsequently transferred to Quayside Tower on Broad Street
Thanks for that, a building I have never been in.
Is Quayside tower an ex British rail building also?

Here's an interesting project.
The Great Central Railway are working hard to install a missing rail link in Loughborough.
Sounds easy enough until you see what is required.

The Stourbridge Town branch has been cut back from this time, with the station near the bus station now. Units are smaller now of the Parry People Mover type. At one time this branch railway went down to the interchange basin and goods shed at Stourbridge Town arm and the Gasworks there.

The diesel units of the 1977 time were usually single car sets, although the image above does not look like a single car set

I can confirm that stanier house and quayside tower were used by British Rail in the 90s. I worked in both buildings as a security officer on the reception. My Brother also work in the buildings doing the same job. Sometimes he would be on reception in one of the buildings and me in the other. We used to be able to keep in touch with each other using the NRN system using storno phone’s

The use of local brickyards, which supplied blue bricks was an important development in local railway engineering. William Gilbert supplied blue bricks to the Birmingham & Gloucester Railway construction in 1839.

Around the railways of Birmingham engineering bricks are found in the GWR viaducts at Bordesley and in the later tunnels north of Snow Hill Station. Snow Hill station itself was rebuilt and reconstructed over time. What is seen now in the railway and metro tunnels are examples of the later improvements as are some of the terracotta brickwork seen above.

Seems a great idea. In addition to saving of trees , it should enable the reuse of plastic waste which might not have been suitable for recycling into hojusehold items

Creosote came to be used on railways by 1840, it replaced the Kyanisation process that had been adopted a couple of years earlier. Stone Blocks were the preferred method of supporting early public railways

Anyone interested in Railway Architecture…On Yesterday channel, series 3 of “The Architecture the Railways Built” by Tim Dunn is starting September 2021.
thanks p i watch them
Yesterday
season 1 10 episodes Sat 18 Sep 10am - 11am

Back