• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Railway Hotel. corner of Curzon St & Howe St

Hi Trebor - you don't remember your grandparents house number I suppose? Mike
Sorry I don’t, it was a back to back and they were on the front of Curzon Street, right hand side of an entry, about four doors down from George’s cafe.

this is my first reply i lived at 1/28 howe street ashted bham 4 until i left loxton street school in 1958 i can remember lots of people from all round the area the railway pub was not the same as in the picture like all the properties around the pub it was bomded the 2 top floors were taken of and a new roof was built i hope this gets through claypole

Here is a photo of Curzon Street, my grandparents lived just before where the little boy is.
i lived at 1/28 howe street until i was 15 in 1958 when i left loxton street do you remember the thunder bolt hitting the canal bridge about 1950-2 my mothers brother from belmont row marrieda lady from the yard behind your grandparants in curzon street

i lived at 1/28 howe street until i was 15 in 1958 when i left loxton street do you remember the thunder bolt hitting the canal bridge about 1950-2 my mothers brother from belmont row marrieda lady from the yard behind your grandparants in curzon street
I also lived in Howe Street when I was little, we left there about 1952, I don’t remember the thunderbolt, but remember the murder by a neighbour that backed onto our house.

helloi hope i am replying ok your house was 2 /23 howe street i new lots of people all round the area and went to windsor street and loxton street are there any still out there

Last edited by a moderator:
hello claypole. Thank you for your contribution to this thread.

As a newcomer to our forum, you may not be aware that it is our policy on BHF to remove serious accusations about named persons This is to protect any named person, whether rightly or wrongly accused, their family and friends, and the good name of BHF. This is why your post has been edited.

helloi hope i am replying ok your house was 2 /23 howe street i new lots of people all round the area and went to windsor street and loxton street are there any still out there
Our surname was Forrester and my grandparents name was Millichamp they lived in Curzon Street.

hello trebor i am afraid cannot remember you i do remember mr mrs challice living in no 2/23 howe street with 6 or 7 kids my surname is clayton i lived with my parents and 4 younger brothers in the next yard down from you i hope you are well and have good christmas

hello trebor i am afraid cannot remember you i do remember mr mrs challice living in no 2/23 howe street with 6 or 7 kids my surname is clayton i lived with my parents and 4 younger brothers in the next yard down from you i hope you are well and have good christmas
HI Claypole. I lived in Gopsal Street until 1967. Is your name Brian and did you have a brother called Bryn and a mom called Winnie perhaps? I really hope it is you.

hello susan yes i am brian you have stumped me i did not expect a reply i am trying to place you i was to shy to speak to girls back then did you live opposite the bomb peck thanks for contacting me tell me more

hello susan yes i am brian you have stumped me i did not expect a reply i am trying to place you i was to shy to speak to girls back then did you live opposite the bomb peck thanks for contacting me tell me more
Hi Brian. Great that you have replied. Thank you. Yes we did , number 49 the third house from the end, nearest Howe Street. My mom and dad was Fred and Lily and I had 4 siblings. Do you remember the Sweeneys, was you a relative of the Bowen’s in Pitt or Penn Street, or Sylvia and Fred Groves. Oh gosh I could go on forever. Are your mom and dad still alive.
How about Alan Carwadine and Irene and Charlie Bush.

hello susan sylvia was my mothers sister sadly she and my mom and dad passed away some years ago the same with mr and mrs bush i spoke to fred groves a couple of days ago he is still battling on at 91 i can remember your family i have a map with your house on i have seen very few people from the old area since we moved in 1958 even though i still called in for a drink in the kings arms up till about 1980? i have a fond memories of howe street before the lock down i called into the eagle and ball a few times you sound well do you still live in the midlands do you see any one from bham 4 you have stirred lots of thoughts about the place

hello susan sylvia was my mothers sister sadly she and my mom and dad passed away some years ago the same with mr and mrs bush i spoke to fred groves a couple of days ago he is still battling on at 91 i can remember your family i have a map with your house on i have seen very few people from the old area since we moved in 1958 even though i still called in for a drink in the kings arms up till about 1980? i have a fond memories of howe street before the lock down i called into the eagle and ball a few times you sound well do you still live in the midlands do you see any one from bham 4 you have stirred lots of thoughts about the place
Yes , we live in Staffordshire. Glad to hear that Fred is still going strong. We pass his old house regularly in Belmont Row (before lockdown obviously) and I often wonder how he is. Hope Gary and Maxine are too. I did know about Sylvia as she was still in touch with mom before she died. There are some fantastic threads on this Forum, it is great to stumble on them.
Old pubs and restaurants for example. They are brilliant .

Hi Brian. Great that you have replied. Thank you. Yes we did , number 49 the third house from the end, nearest Howe Street. My mom and dad was Fred and Lily and I had 4 siblings. Do you remember the Sweeneys, was you a relative of the Bowen’s in Pitt or Penn Street, or Sylvia and Fred Groves. Oh gosh I could go on forever. Are your mom and dad still alive.
How about Alan Carwadine and Irene and Charlie Bush.
I remember the Carwadines and Irene and Charlie Bush who had the little shop, I lived at 1/23 Howe Street and my grandparents lived in Curzon Street.

I remember the Carwadines and Irene and Charlie Bush who had the little shop, I lived at 1/23 Howe Street and my grandparents lived in Curzon Street.
Hi Trebor. Re the Railway.. When I lived in Gopsal Street, the Railway was just an ordinary pub. The landlord seemed to change a lot from memory. The reason I mention it is because we use to have the children from the pub start our school. There was Denise Mann and a girl called Lois Williams (I think)
You may have left Howe street by then. Do you remember a cafe in Curzon Street, owned by Dora?

Hi Susan, I think we left Howe Street about 1952, I don’t remember a cafe, I went to Bishop Ryder school for a short while.

hello susan do you remember roger and graham carver who had a sister derrick banner from gopsal street david crowe sammy curry sammy harris micky duffy john bacciochi who all lived in howe street and had sisters i would love to now how they they got on and did they move out of bham

Hi Susan, I think we left Howe Street about 1952, I don’t remember a cafe, I went to Bishop Ryder school for a short while.
Hi Trebor. I would have only been 4 then, so I wouldn’t remember much then... lol
Thank you for your reply though, been great being in touch. Kind regards. Sue

hello susan do you remember roger and graham carver who had a sister derrick banner from gopsal street david crowe sammy curry sammy harris micky duffy john bacciochi who all lived in howe street and had sisters i would love to now how they they got on and did they move out of bham
Hi Claypole. Oh yes I do remember the Carvers, was the sister Jill. They lived at 41½, first house on the corner of Gopsal Stree and Cardigan Street think they backed on to the Fitzgterald family. There were two Banner families , one next door to my Nan and Grandad, Mr and Mrs Anthony, number 38 and Hilda Banner, Derricks mom, who lived at about number 32. Mick Duffy, I was friends with his sister Mary in the early sixties I am not too sure of the other names yet but have seen the name Bacciochi on the forum. We had great times. What about Peter and Maureen Newson from Belmont Row. I remember the name Peter Birden but I don't remember why. I could go on for ever with names. Unfortunately, I dont know how these people are now, which is a shame. Kind regards

Back