• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Raggie Allen’s Garrison Lane

H

harley

does anyone remember raggie allens just before digbeth i think .are they still there, also the pdsa. old clothes etc. and are they still running . these are place names i remember when i was a kid .harley:D

Harley Pete does I can't recolect the shop. The PDSA still have charity shops though selling all sorts of things including second hand clothing. Jean.

I think Raggy Allens was in Garrison Lane....not just rags but metal etc.
My uncle Les was a coal-man & he would pick up nails & other bits of
metal & then take them into Raggy Allens when he enough to make it worth his while !!!!

Margaret.

so right margaret, thats it ,metal scrap and cloth we used to watch them as kids sort the wool and cotton etc.and we lived in garrison lane. another scrap merchants in garrison lane was broadhursts scrap metals.

the pdsa now i remember was a huge building which houses loads of people sorting the rags etc .well before the shops arrived to help the poor animals.;) and im not sure but i think they were also to do with raggies also.

raggie allens was in garrison lane.it was an old house which had an archway next to it.when you went into the office to collect your money.there were brass horse brasses and brass picture plates all across the wall. i think the pdsa had a warehouse in bradford street digbeth.which sold furniture and old beds with used mattress.complete with stains.:D

I remember Raggie Allens. It was about 200 yards from the Atlas pub, on the Doris Road side of Garrison Lane. Spent many a Saturday morning pushing an old pram full of rags and scrap bits metal from the Era to raggies.

Later, in the early 50's, I worked with old man (Thomas?)Allen's nephew Frankie Allen. He was married to a Sunday school teacher and she ran the shop next door to Bordesley Tech in Bordesley Green Road. I got the impression from Frank that there was bad feelings within the family and a split-up. Wasn't it one of the Allen's who opened the garage?

raggie allens was in garrison lane.it was an old house which had an archway next to it.when you went into the office to collect your money.there were brass horse brasses and brass picture plates all across the wall. i think the pdsa had a warehouse in bradford street digbeth.which sold furniture and old beds with used mattress.complete with stains.:D
Hi Winston, I think that the pdsa was either in moseley st or cheapside . Malta.

I lived in Templefield St just by Raggie's yard, It was bombed in the war, and the flames could be seen fror miles, as well as the rags and metal I remember you could sell him rabbit skins. my Mom would never buy a rabbit without the skin on.

I remember my Aunt's Neighbour in a terrace in Little Green Lane every Tuesday the Tallie man came ,she would buy Blankets and Towels ,(on the knock)and then as soon as the Tallieman had gone she used to rush to Raggie Allens and sell them for a few bob so they could eat for a couple of days.There was also a pawnshop between Little Green lane and Garrison lane ,she sometimes did business there,get them back out at Pay day and give them back to the tallieman and say they were not quite what she wanted ! and owe nothing and they all ate!
Shelagh

Hi all,

Well what a coincidence, my mom always refers to someone who is untidily dressed as "shopped at raggie allans", when I have asked her who/what is Raggy Alan she hasn't got a clue.. now I know and more importantly I will be able to tell my mom:)

does anyone remember raggie allens just before digbeth i think .are they still there, also the pdsa. old clothes etc. and are they still running . these are place names i remember when i was a kid .harley:D
My grandma Rose Dagnan (nee Allen) took over the shop but retired to Solihull in the 1960s. I have very fond memories of 'helping' in the shop during holidays, ice buns on the counter, bundles of firewood on the shop floor, penny ice lollies and listening for the shop bell from out the back. Did the shop have a name?

I remember Raggie Allens. It was about 200 yards from the Atlas pub, on the Doris Road side of Garrison Lane. Spent many a Saturday morning pushing an old pram full of rags and scrap bits metal from the Era to raggies.

Later, in the early 50's, I worked with old man (Thomas?)Allen's nephew Frankie Allen. He was married to a Sunday school teacher and she ran the shop next door to Bordesley Tech in Bordesley Green Road. I got the impression from Frank that there was bad feelings within the family and a split-up. Wasn't it one of the Allen's who opened the garage?
The bad feeling may have been that great grandad Allen married the housekeeper after his first wife died meaning the money and business went down a different family route. My grandma Rose Allen married a Dagnan but when widowed ran the shop in Bordesley Green Road until the 1960s.

i bought 2 blue invalid cars off them and built a go cart.

Attachments

• villiers.jpg
    villiers.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 34
Hi,

I remember Sparkbrook Metals , but never had any dealings with them Pat.

I was a bit tongue in cheek about the happy hours Pete, although it's now a
fond memory. Like you, I parted with a load of cash there. At the time I had an HC Viva
which got through 3 gearboxes and needed plenty of other bits too.
At the time I thought nothing about swapping a gearbox, now I don't look
forward to changing a wheel !

Kind regards
Dave

Back