• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rag Market

I used to remember Tom who used to sell material. It was near the crockery in a good location. My mom and dad had a second hand clothes stall next to him. I used to go and help in late 50,s and 60’s. Dorothy and Donald. My uncle used to be there too Roy and Marie.

Although I never visited the rag market until I was a adult ( my mom thought travelling to the city centre from Kingstanding was like going abroad in my childhood lol) However, our next door neighbours Mr and Mrs Gregory had for a time their daughter and I guess her husband living with them. She apparently had a stall or helped at the rag market this I would guess around 1953 perhaps slightly later.
I remember she had a first name like Una or something similar.
Strange how somethings stick in your mind, but I remember the daughter wore Roman sandals which seemed really outgoing fashion for that time looking back.

Why I remember it was I around 6 perhaps 5 and played with Una’s son named Paul who was about the same time my first real friend who was there one day, and moved the next.

Does anyone remember who my friend and I called Barbara Streisand, in the old market, 1970s 1980s
Billy Graham speaking at the Rag Market in 1954.

Viv.

View attachment 163133
Anyone remember a woman who looked like Barbara Streisand, she had a voice like a fog horn, this would be 1970s 1980s at the old Rag Market.
you could hear her booming voice over the crowds, she sold figurines and crockery, she shouted at anyone who touched her goods, even though the ones and the front was tat, one Friday she had a bra on over her jumper? my friend was scared of her LOL.
When the old market was bulldozed and the new hot in summer cold in winter one went up lots of the old sellers left, I did see Barbara selling bags I think in Solihulls Touchwood with a stall down a centre, I don't think she was allowed to shout in Touchwood like she did in the old rag market though.

An understatement Rosie she was not what you would call friendly, I miss the old market. and the faces you got to know, a great day out and then we went to Druckers for cake and coffee. I still have curtains up I made years ago from the material stall, fabulous bargains great people.
Yes I remember her! She was fierce, I'm surpised she ever sold anything, she scowled if you went near.
rosie

i thought it was still there pete...mind you i avoid the city centre like the plague now

lyn
and me.last time i was there was 25 years ago. when i left my car in the carpark and thought it had been nicked so i called the police.only to be told that night it was still there one floor above were i thought i had parked it.

Back