• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rag And Bone Man Ragman Tatters

hi folks thought we could have a new thread going to post photos of the good old rag and bone man...i am sure most of us remember them..will kick off with these 2 that new member gord has sent me..think it was gord who took them but i will confirm that...dated 1963View attachment 114329View attachment 114330 ...look forward to seeing other photos members may have

taken in grange road aston..

lyn

Lyn at a very early age living in Springfield St before we moved to William St , the r&b man was in the street . I can't remember what my Mother gave me to give to him , but my mother wasn't very pleased what he gave me packet of contraceptives and I'm not joking. Mother being livid went up the entry to him gave him a right ear bashing and threatened to call the police . Do you know I remembered the instance , but I didn't know what he gave me , until mom told me when I was about 15.

i dont believe it carolina..apart from a great pic of the rag and bone man i have been searching for years of a shot of that section of icknield st because it surely shows on the right the posts that were joined by heavy chain link...we used to swing them back and forth when we went past...

thank you..thats another one off me hit list..:)

lyn

Lyn can you explain where this part of Icknield St was , anywhere near Bulpitts ?

Remember in about 1957 giving a load of old clothes to a rag and bone man which Mum had thrown out. She was shocked and annoyed when I returned with a handful of farthings he had dumped on me, because they had ceased to be legal tender. Took advantage of a young child.
Mum gave me the equivalent in legal pennies.

i aint got no pictures but i can tell ou there was two taters abone living on heath street and one in clark street and his horse and cart is on another thread i will not name them

The Council has recently found 18 different Scrap Collectors from the Black Country who have been using trumpets and sound recordings of 'Old Iron' illegal to use I think. The area they congregate at currently is Sutton ,Erdington and surrounding, disturbing the Sunday morning sleep in, and at weekdays.
Were scrapmen the same as ragandbone men in 60's?
I recall the fish, but of course it would not be allowed to happen now regarding cruelty, not sure about fairs having fish for prizes.
I found Astoness photo's interesting in the fact that one of those guys could have collected in our Nechells street in the 60's, it's amazing,
My great grandad was the rag and bone man 'Raggy Allen' operating out of Garrison Lane. Billy was the name of his horse, according to mum. They later expanded into metals. A second marriage split the family but my grandma Rose Dagnan (nee Allen) ran the small shop in Bordesley Green Road, next to the boy's school. Did the shop have a name? Would love to see a picture of Raggy Allen.

My great grandad was the rag and bone man 'Raggy Allen' operating out of Garrison Lane. Billy was the name of his horse, according to mum. They later expanded into metals. A second marriage split the family but my grandma Rose Dagnan (nee Allen) ran the small shop in Bordesley Green Road, next to the boy's school. Did the shop have a name? Would love to see a picture of Raggy Allen.
Let me know if you ever find a picture, as I’d love to know more as a fellow Allen!

Hi,
We had a local rag and bone man in the 1950s in Stechford.
His call was "Bring it here, - Rag Bone".
Kind regards
Dave

I lived off the Bordesley Green Road in Palace Road in the 50s-60s, and Raggy Allens was very well known then. My brother was forever giving the rag'n'bone man clothes so he could have the chicks or a goldfish in the bag. One time he gave away our dad's best suits ha ha ha... then I would help my brother shovel up the horse muck for the garden.

Did your grandad have anything to do with Sparkbrook Metals scrap yard in Arthur Street, where we lived in the early 70's. I was brought up in Palace Road, by Bordesley Green in 1950-1965, but don't remember name of the shop. I just posted on here about Raggy Allen being famous to us in those days and my brother giving him my dad's best suits just for a gold fish / chicks and we used to shovel up the horse muck for the garden.

I lived off the Bordesley Green Road in Palace Road in the 50s-60s, and Raggy Allens was very well known then. My brother was forever giving the rag'n'bone man clothes so he could have the chicks or a goldfish in the bag. One time he gave away our dad's best suits ha ha ha... then I would help my brother shovel up the horse muck for the garden.

Two enterprising youngsters. I’ve heard junk called ‘tat’ but never heard “tatting” used in this context. Only heard it used before in lace-making. Viv.

Source: British Newspaper Archive

D9EF36D9-7153-4482-B93C-6161443A357D.jpeg

Attachments

• BADFA9C5-F76D-4F5B-867C-D0309E8822EE.jpeg
    BADFA9C5-F76D-4F5B-867C-D0309E8822EE.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 6
Back