• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

RAF Chapel and Sentinels at Biggin Hill

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
For anyone interested in the RAF/Battle of Britain/Biggin Hill who may have been based at Biggin Hill, went through RAF selection or training there, or who had relations who did so, these photos I have of St. George’s RAF Chapel of Remembrance, Biggin Hill, might be of interest. It’s a wonderful tribute to all those who helped to secure our freedom. The Hurricane and Spitfire are models which guard either side of the entrance to the Chapel. Viv.

s_Chapel.JPG St George's RAF Chapel, Biggin Hill

HurricaneP2921.JPG Hurricane P2921 model outside St.George's RAF Chapel, Biggin Hill

Hurricane_P2921_plaque.JPGHurricane plaque
Spitfire_K9998.JPGSpitfire K9998 model oitside St. George's RAF Chapel, Biggin Hill

Spitfire_K9998_plaque.JPGSpitfire plaque

The pilot of the Spitfire in your photos, Geoffrey Wellum was aged 18 years and 9 months when he joined 92 Squadron and the other pilots in the squadron called him 'Boy'. I've just read his autobiography.
Geoffery_Wellum.jpg

Talking about the RAF I did two years 1949-1951 how can I verify my dates of servce and the RAF base that I was at? Anthony John William Crump 7 June 1933 Can anyone help? John Crump OldBrit Parker, Co USA

Interesting Oldmohawk, Wellum was so young. I pass this memorial on my way to work and it's a very vivid reminder of the courage of these people - glad we still have these memorials. Many of the aerodrome buildings are still there too - some are protected. Unfortunately, they could now benefit from a bit of TLC.

John, this link might be of help. https://www.raf.mod.uk/ahb/recordsofservice/

Viv.

If anyone is interested a very good book on RAF Biggin Hill is "Biggin On The Bump" by Bob Ogley a local author.
(ISBN 1-872337-10-4)
By the way Viv I lived in Biggin Hill for a number of years and also passed the airfield on my way to work.
Regards Reg

Hi Roverman. Thanks for the book reference. Think I'll have a look at that as I'm researching my dad's RAF career. Like to read around the subject. I also have photos of the surviving buildings, now sadly some are the worse for wear. There has been talk of a Heritage Centre, but funding hasn't yet materialised. Will post a few of the buildings pics when I've downloaded them. Viv.

Here is a selection of photos of the aerodrome buildings at Biggin Hill for those with an interest. Viv
Biggin_Hill_2.JPG

Biggin_Hill.JPG

Bunker.JPGThe_Strongest_Link.JPG

Back