• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

RAF Chapel and Sentinels at Biggin Hill

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
For anyone interested in the RAF/Battle of Britain/Biggin Hill who may have been based at Biggin Hill, went through RAF selection or training there, or who had relations who did so, these photos I have of St. George’s RAF Chapel of Remembrance, Biggin Hill, might be of interest. It’s a wonderful tribute to all those who helped to secure our freedom. The Hurricane and Spitfire are models which guard either side of the entrance to the Chapel. Viv.

s_Chapel.JPG St George's RAF Chapel, Biggin Hill

HurricaneP2921.JPG Hurricane P2921 model outside St.George's RAF Chapel, Biggin Hill

Hurricane_P2921_plaque.JPGHurricane plaque
Spitfire_K9998.JPGSpitfire K9998 model oitside St. George's RAF Chapel, Biggin Hill

Spitfire_K9998_plaque.JPGSpitfire plaque

The pilot of the Spitfire in your photos, Geoffrey Wellum was aged 18 years and 9 months when he joined 92 Squadron and the other pilots in the squadron called him 'Boy'. I've just read his autobiography.
Geoffery_Wellum.jpg

Talking about the RAF I did two years 1949-1951 how can I verify my dates of servce and the RAF base that I was at? Anthony John William Crump 7 June 1933 Can anyone help? John Crump OldBrit Parker, Co USA

Interesting Oldmohawk, Wellum was so young. I pass this memorial on my way to work and it's a very vivid reminder of the courage of these people - glad we still have these memorials. Many of the aerodrome buildings are still there too - some are protected. Unfortunately, they could now benefit from a bit of TLC.

John, this link might be of help. https://www.raf.mod.uk/ahb/recordsofservice/

Viv.

If anyone is interested a very good book on RAF Biggin Hill is "Biggin On The Bump" by Bob Ogley a local author.
(ISBN 1-872337-10-4)
By the way Viv I lived in Biggin Hill for a number of years and also passed the airfield on my way to work.
Regards Reg

Hi Roverman. Thanks for the book reference. Think I'll have a look at that as I'm researching my dad's RAF career. Like to read around the subject. I also have photos of the surviving buildings, now sadly some are the worse for wear. There has been talk of a Heritage Centre, but funding hasn't yet materialised. Will post a few of the buildings pics when I've downloaded them. Viv.

Here is a selection of photos of the aerodrome buildings at Biggin Hill for those with an interest. Viv
Biggin_Hill_2.JPG

Biggin_Hill.JPG

Bunker.JPGThe_Strongest_Link.JPG

Back