• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Raf 100 Years Old

The Royal Air Force Amateur Radio Society - to which I have belonged for a long time - is very involved with RAF 100 celebrations. There are special transmitting stations which can be contacted worldwide, radio transmission conditions permitting.
There are also many displays by the Society at air shows and radio related events. A great celebration is being achieved.
Another celebration, for me anyway, but with no connection to the specific connection to the RAF, is the 1000th. anniversary of the founding by King Canute of Buckfast Abbey in Devon. There has been many events so far since earlier this year with more to come.
I had the honour of being invited to a special service in May, which was a civic affair with the attendance of two Cardinals, one of whom was a Papal Legate from Sweden (Catholics here will realize that is was a special day with two 'big guns' plus others of lesser degree). Yesterday saw me there again as part of the Community celebrations. That was a much more private event but one which I have been looking forward to for some while - just praying that I would still be alive to attend it. :D On a military note the monks who were priests and British, mostly became Chaplains in the second world war. The foreign ones became a local firefghting and first aid team for the duration. Catholic Chaplains were always noted for being at the front line, in fact one, who only recently died at 99, was captured but did manage to escape. Another was on a beach in the Normandy retreat. The unit he was with was asked to write something home as it seemed, at the time, that they may not make it back to Blighty. With a large pile of hurried letters strapped to his helmet he waded out to one of the smaller rescue boats. "Come aboard Father" was a command made, but no, the only thing that went aboard was the letters: he went back to the beach! They did make it back and all eventually were sent back into other theatres of war. I remember him well as he typed a special Latin prayer for me that, at the time I was unable to locate in any books. I still have it and recite it. He died in 1996. Those of us, here, will have many such wonderful memories of those we have loved and known. There is, sadly as well, the reverse side of the sadder memories but from personal experience they are far less that the good ones.
There were many imaginations by some who lived locally during WW2. German aircraft circling over the Abbey were, it was thought, getting signals from the tower. They were, of course taking directions. Anyone who has flown knows old churches are often invaluable compasses. :D Another, even wilder comment, was a tunnel being dug for submarines who could reach there up the River Dart. I can't quite see how the subs would have climbed over a couple of weirs, particularly a large one at Totnes which forms the break between the tidal river and fresh water part. :eek:

Last edited:
Great photos; hopefully appreciated by those who have been able to view them.
On a humorous note: I realize Colmore Row is wide, but I guess those aircraft did not use it as a runway! :D

This rather long, but does make interesting reading on a rainy day particularly.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/history...fought-best-with-their-backs-to-the-wall.html
In a scene in the great film, The Battle of Britain (I believe), Herman Göring (or the actor playing his part) said "Wo ist der RAF?" (where is the RAF?). Well they were playing a waiting game, which he soon found out. I remember being told, by a surviving pilot of that era, that what helped Britain was that the RAF overestimated the strength of the Luftwaffe, where they in turn, under estimated that of the RAF. Some colossal mistakes made by Hitler were to Britain's advantage as the war progressed but this over and under estimation by the combatants chiefs was quite important, even if not so widely emphasised.

Here's my two pennorth. rainy day, not much fun taking photos.

Attachments

• DSCN2049.JPG
    DSCN2049.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2050.JPG
    DSCN2050.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2044.JPG
    DSCN2044.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2045.JPG
    DSCN2045.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • DSCN2047.JPG
    DSCN2047.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Regarding the Red Arrows, my brother just told me it would be at 3pm today (Sunday).
I can't go so thanks everyone for the photos.
rosie.

It was cancelled due to the bad weather. 3:07pm came and went and nothing flew over the Council House.

nice photos everyone....what a shame the bad weather forced the red arrows to cancel...they also had to cancel the rhyl flypast...wonder if they will re arrange for another day

lyn

Thanks for the pics, Ell & HnC,

Those of us some distance away were at least able to get the flavour of the event.

Maurice :)

There was still fences all the way around the site and security, plus bag searches, put me off a bit. Better seen from a distance. Plus crowds of people in queues near the jets.

Yes, Ell, same problem when we went to Pisa four years ago. If you wanted to ascend the Tower, you not only had a search, but had to leave all bags at ground level. Sorry, but I don't do that for anyone.

Maurice

Before I went to Pisa considered booking to go up the tower, but didn't in the end as half an hour for the price wasn't worth it. In the end was better to see it from the ground, although was thousands of tourists all over the place. But well worth seeing it.

And there is also people going around trying to sell stuff on the street! (necklaces / handbags etc). At least that doesn't happen in the UK.

I visited the Lloyd George Museum in North Wales last week, and I spotted these plaques as we were taken to Highgate the childhood home of David Lloyd George.

Ell,

Don't get me started on them. If you're driving, before you've even turned the engine off they are swarming all over you and you have use some rather choice language to get rid of them. Pompeii is even worse once you leave the archaeological site itself.

Maurice

Ell,

Don't get me started on them. If you're driving, before you've even turned the engine off they are swarming all over you and you have use some rather choice language to get rid of them. Pompeii is even worse once you leave the archaeological site itself.

Maurice
Ell & Maurice
The worst place is the Pyramids.
Bob

Back