• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

ARippin

master brummie
Has anyone any recollections of a Helen Nash who married Murry Rae in 1959?
I am trying to make contact with long lost maternal family.
In the 1939 Register Helen D Nash was living with her parents Frank Nash and Ellen Nash (nee Roberts) at 69 Swinford Road, Birmingham.
Helen was born on 19th May 1930.
Her father (my Great Uncle) had been a tram conductor then a bus conductor and was originally from Halberton Street, Smethwick.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Andrew
P.S. Or ideas on how to locate them.

ARippin,

Given that Helen was born in 1930, if alive, that would make her 87 years old. There's an entry on Billion Graves for the death of a Helen D. RAE in Aberdeen in 1985, but no other information such as birth date. How old was Murry RAE? Is he likely to be alive. I can't see any obvious links on FMP at the moment. Please bear in mine that if they are still alive, their address or other details should not be disclosed on open forum to avoid breeching data protection laws - please use the private messaging system.

Maurice

ARippin,

Do you know if there is a possible connection with the Banbury area? There are four children born in that area on FMP with the surname RAE and mother's maiden name of NASH, but 20 years or thereabouts after the marriage, so this may be a red herring.

Maurice

Death & Probate of Helen Diane RAE - grant & will ref: 4746389
Died 7 November 2015 Probate at Ipswich on 11 December 2015
You can get a copy of the Will & Probate for £10 here:-

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Maurice

PS Nothing for Murray up to date - he may well still be alive.

Thankyou Maurice and MWS.
I'm not sure how old Murray was but I'm thinking of sending for their marriage cert to confirm 100% that Frank is named as her father an to glean more info.
Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about them other than I have photos I inherited from an Aunt that shows her parents at the wedding of my grandfather in 1925, along with other photos that show them.
The will and probate look promising and links in with Bury St Edmunds.
I have her parents marriage cert, 5th April 1924 off Ancestry (st cuthberts church).
I've search for siblings of Helen but drew a blank.
Thanks for your invaluable input, I will do more digging.
P.S. I will make sure I won't post any addresses on here if I'm successful in my search.
I will keep you updated if I'm successful.

Out of interest...
I'm trying to make contact as I'm hoping to upload a photo of Helen's father Frank to the 'Lives of the First World War' site, set up by the Imperial War Museum to remember those that fought.
I have several family photos but I'm unsure which is Frank!! (Very frustrating).
I have census returns and information on Frank and his brothers army units etc but have left it far too late as most of my maternal family have sadly passed on. Plus I live in Leicestershire rather than the Birmingham area and I wasn't inquisitive enough as a youngster (as I suspect is the case with most of us)!

ARippin,

Ah, I have a bookful of photographs that my late wife borrowed from one of her relatives some years ago. I can guess at a few of them, but I cannot even return the book as the lendor is also now deceased without offspring and I have lived in Crete since 2005. These things happen and there's very little we can do about it. Unlikely we'll find an annotated photograph in the newspapers, but I presume we are looking for a Frank NASH - date of death?

Maurice

Sorry Maurice been out now so will look tomorrow on my desktop PC.
From memory mid 1950's. I think I found his probate info online naming his wife Ellen so I'm assuming it's the same person but haven't sent for his death cert... purely due to cost as it soon mounts up (especially when it's not direct line)... but I may just bite the bullet in this case!
Crete... sounds lovely but hot!! (I'm not good in the heat)!

Mid-30sC here at the moment and not pleasant, but better that last Friday's 39C! But I have known it at 46C, but I was younger then & could tolerate it.

I've amassed over 500 certificates, but mostly in the 1980s & 90s when there wasn't all this data online. Haven't sent for one on my own line for years now.

Maurice

My memory serves me correct (for a change)!

This is Helen's father and is definitley the right one as its the same address as on the 1939 Register.

image.jpeg

P.S. Hope it's a bit cooler today.

ARippin,

So pleased to hear that we have another BHF success. Nice to hear that you have made contact.

Maurice

Has anyone any recollections of a Helen Nash who married Murry Rae in 1959?
I am trying to make contact with long lost maternal family.
In the 1939 Register Helen D Nash was living with her parents Frank Nash and Ellen Nash (nee Roberts) at 69 Swinford Road, Birmingham.
Helen was born on 19th May 1930.
Her father (my Great Uncle) had been a tram conductor then a bus conductor and was originally from Halberton Street, Smethwick.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Andrew
P.S. Or ideas on how to locate them.
Just read this very old message.
Helen and Murry Rae lived in Bury St Edmunds from around 1974. Helen is a neighbour of mine. Murray died a couple of weeks ago, a few days after his 80th birthday. His funeral is on Friday 17th Dec.
Mike Holland

Just read this very old message.
Helen and Murry Rae lived in Bury St Edmunds from around 1974. Helen is a neighbour of mine. Murray died a couple of weeks ago, a few days after his 80th birthday. His funeral is on Friday 17th Dec.
Mike Holland
Hi mike
only just spotted your message.
Thank you so much.
Yes I have been in touch and even met Helen and Murray at their home (prior to lockdowns).
Both are lovely people and really it’s really sad that Murray has passed away.
I have been in touch with Helen relatively recently.
Are you originally from the Birmingham area?
Kind regards
Andrew

Hi mike
only just spotted your message.
Thank you so much.
Yes I have been in touch and even met Helen and Murray at their home (prior to lockdowns).
Both are lovely people and really it’s really sad that Murray has passed away.
I have been in touch with Helen relatively recently.
Are you originally from the Birmingham area?
Kind regards
Andrew
Thanks for message, Andrew.
I was born in Newark and moved to Cambridge in 1957, then to Vinten in Bury St Edmunds in 1970. Murry joined us in 1974
Mike

Back