• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Radio

Now you have pulled a trigger Pete. I have an original circuit diagram from that era, and I think it is of a B40. It is in the form of an engineering drawing, with revision numbers, and draftsman's name etc. It is put carefully away, because it is a bit delicate. I must try and find it, just to settle my memory.

I used to have an R1155, which I think was aircraft issue. Now long gone.
Andrew.
mom drawed the line at having one of them contraptions in the house,it was confined to the shed.:(

When we lived in the UK, in a more 'compressed' environment, as far as my wife was concerned shed = house, and vice versa. Now we have more room, I don't have the big stuff any more. Luckily, electronics has also got a lot smaller.
For neighbour relations 2m SSB, I used to use an ICOM IC202 with 20W on the end into a dual stacked 8 element yagi.
Andrew,

Hi Pete,

Nice pic of the 1154/1155 sets, and of course the B40.

You mentioned the Acocks Green shop where you bought some of the
heavier stuff. - I wonder if this was Centre Electronics in Stockfield Road.

Howard Turner had many B40s back in the 1980s/1990s, I've got a photo
somewhere of a wall in his storeroom completely covered wth stacked B40s.
I might be wrong, but I think he got them from Reclamations in Great Barr St,
and refurbished them as necessary. I remember on one occasion seeing him
return from his car to the shop carrying one in each hand. They were an
awkward beast to carry at the best of times, I know, as I managed to pull
my back lifting one onto a bench!

Howard was a good friend, - sadly he passed on late last year.

Kind regards
Dave
G0ELJ

oh dave sorry to hear that he is silent key. ...he sure had some swag in there. but most got transfered to my shed hi

airways relay.jpeg
Wandering around a small village in the Cantal. This was on top of a small building that we thought was a public WC, and built in the village style. Helpful explanatory notice on the side. Apparently it is part of air traffic control, and the main dish is talking to a large comms tower on a remote hill some distance away. I presume this little village had good communications links, making it easier to relay than talk to the remote tower directly. Not sure about the whip aerial on the top, maybe direct comms for local aircraft ? The big tower it was talking to was close enough to handle any beacon duties.
Andrew.

The only actual radio I use these days is my airband receiver occasionally listening to communications between air traffic control and pilots and following aircraft movements on my laptop with Flightradar24. It satisfies my lifelong interest in aviation, radio, and computers ... :rolleyes:

I use Alexa Echo Dots to listen to normal radio stations ...:)

I fondly remember my dad tuning into the Third Programme in the early 60s to listen to Test Match Special in our shop with John Arlott, E W Swanton, Alan Gibson, Trevor Bailey, Norman Yardley and later Brian Johnson, describing the likes of Ted Dexter, Colin Cowdrey, Ken Barrington, Fred Trueman, Jim Parkes and our favourite batsman Tom Graveney. I believe they also played some music ;).

i listened to a bit of the ARCHERS just now. i think it should be pensioned off now.putting it politely its run its course:(

I haven't listened to the Archers since moving to Devon in 1954. It was Dan, Doris and kids and of course gravel voiced Walter Gabriel.
I changed my allegiance, for a short while, to The Luscombes. (Dorset based)

I always used to listen to The Archers before Covid but I got out of the habit when it paused for a while. It was never the same after Nigel fell off the roof!!
I loved Mrs. Dale's Diary after school. Also Waggoner's Walk, that didn't last as long.
rosie.

my mom was a great fan of mrs dale:grinning:

1654436652723.png
the cast: Dr. Dale (Douglas Burbidge) with his hands on the shoulders of Mrs. Dale (Ellis Powell). The other characters are daughter Gwen (Joan Newell) sitting far left; Mrs. Freeman (Dorothy Lane) seated second left; Isabel Fielding (Thea Wells) standing; son Bob (Derek Hart) centre; and daily help Mrs. Morgan (Grace Allardyce) standing far right. Mrs. Dale's sister, Sally Lane (Thelma Hughes) is seated bottom right.

Standby for incoming,brave man!!!:eek::D:D
If only the whole cast had tried to rescue Grace...

There should be a rule that ALL serials should only run for a maximum of five years. My dad was a great Archers fan and my aunt had a point when she once said to him, "You do have a REAL family you know!".

i had a dog in the 70s that when she heard the arches music on the radio of a night,she knew it was time to go and pick the other half up from work:grinning:

Home Town goes on the air. BBC at the top of the Council House. What is seen and heard will bring back memories to Birmingham lads who have not seen home for the last 6 years. Ex-prisoners of war from Singapore, Burma and Malaya.
(Evening Despatch September 1945.)

1E03B1E7-D496-4EF2-9ADD-B54FB240DEBB.jpeg

Home Town goes on the air. BBC at the top of the Council House. What is seen and heard will bring back memories to Birmingham lads who have not seen home for the last 6 years. Ex-prisoners of war from Singapore, Burma and Malaya.
(Evening Despatch September 1945.)

View attachment 173670
Interesting to see Colmore Row at that period as my mum worked there in a drawing office. One of her first jobs.

Back