• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Radio

Williamstreeter, you have just reminded me that I used to ask mother if we could listen to "Dingy doo"!!!! Happy Days!!
rosie.

I remember that as though it was yesterday , then we listened to Ding de Dong Ding de Dong, fantastic
The time is a quarter to two. This is the BBC Light Programme for mothers and children at home. Are you ready for the music? When it stops, Catherine Edwards will be here to speak to you. Ding-de-dong. Ding-de-dong, Ding, Ding! Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin!

PYE, of course comes from Cambridge, and in the early 70's, a lot of my wife's family worked there, and I worked for the PYE Telecom company, (as a buyer,) just after leaving the army, this company were responsible for the first Police and Military personal radios. Having said that the early ones were a bit pathetic, ask any ex squaddie,who was sectioned to patrol the Divis Flats in Belfast, with things being dropped from 10 floors on to them, and all you got was static, , made your knees tremble. Paul

Thanks for posting mw0njm, forgot the massive range of those, sadly the early ones were quite useless in a buildup area, or over a few miles. Paul

Thanks for posting mw0njm, forgot the massive range of those, sadly the early ones were quite useless in a buildup area, or over a few miles. Paul
thats ok paul. most of the radios were Vhf,radios .and low power.....Vhf is line of sight and not much good in cities,unless they have a Radio ._repeater
to extend the range/coverage.

The Iron Room, Birmingham Libraries has an article on Eddystone Radio (Stratton and Co.)

Post by Dave89 had highlighted this in another thread...

I needed a small radio when i was out walking.so i bought one off fleabay. it worked but the switch was a bit loose so i told the seller. wow he said we cant have that and sent me 2 more free of charge,:grinning: 1st Christmas present tis year
:grinning:

Not having a boat and being well land bound I rarely listened to the weather forcasts. ButIi did listen to Saturday Club, with Brian Matthew, who still broadcasts now and compulsory listening was Sunday Lunch times, "Round the Horne" with Kenneth Horne ect.
Don’t forget Two way family favourites, Billy Cotton Band Show, Alf.

Back