• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Radio

Well, this was a BBC West of England Home Service programme which commenced in 1948 and ran until 1964, by which time, I guess the Archers, which started some three years after the Luscombes, in 1951, being on Long Wave, was taking top spot.
I have the feeling that the Luscombes maybe was the catalyst for the Archers. It was popular all over the West. The catchy signature tune (click on the radio) is a folk tune called "Dickon O' Devon.
http://turnipnet.com/whirligig/radio/luscombes.htm

Alan,

I guess this was confined to the BBC West of England Home Service as it's certainly a new one on me. I moved to Dorset in 1961, but didn't encounter the BBCWofEHS until the band I was with were approached to do a 15 minute recording for them in October 1965. I'm not familiar with Dickon o' Devon either, though Dennis Constanduros was a familiar name at the BBC.

Maurice

[MEDI

did no one else listen to shortwave back in the pre tv days?

My experience of short wave goes back to the days before the army adopted VHF radio. We 19 set signallers used to dread the onset of the night and trying to work through the "Chinese music". We did have the odd conversation with the Scottish trawlermen though.
While I'm on, I wittered on happily about the Pirate radio ships, recently. It's just occured to me, could the likes of Caroline be heard in Brum ?

The only radio broadcaster that I listen to nowadays is LBC, and that is in the car. LBC used to stand for "London Broadcasting Company" but now it is advertised as "Leading Britain's Conversation" so perhaps it has extended its reception area. The programmes are mainly news and topics delivered by a presenter, followed by phone-in's from listeners with their questions and viewpoints. Theresa May was on LBC a few days ago answering questions from listeners about the draft Brexit agreement. Dave.

There is a very wide coverage for LBC and many other radio stations.. DAB, FM, Freeview and Satellite tv, PC and other mobile things. So I guess most of the world coverage except where it might be jammed.
In my view classic FM is by far the best. No stress listening to arguments - often, it appears from the uniformed, just pleasant musical listening. ;)

We also took a radio with us in the car, an A40. We had a rather nice picnic set which included a spirit stove and a kettle with a bamboo handle, and I can still remember the smell. Tomato sandwiches used to feature!
The picnic set was left in a garage and the case rotted. Dad was a bit upset as he'd had it for years.
Thank you for rekindling that smell I think it was the blue liquid that burned on the camping stove my gandparents had. Grandad took it all apart to get it going and then to pack it up. I had to wait to every piece was dismantled. They had a black Austin with the orange reflector indicators that came out like a railway signal. And the boot pulled downwards and formed a table. There were round holes cut in the boot like an inner frame which were handy for holding a flask steady or a butter dish.
Never seen a bamboo handle on a kettle.! Sorry it was Radio. They didn't have a radio in it but nan used to take hers. They are all the rage now, It was leather lilac/grey a bit of a handbag shape with a large brassy dial off centre with red figures a bit like a barometer.
I shall tell my partner's French cousin about the BHA and this post he drives his wife mad about English radio.
He reels off all the DJ's he knows them better than me. Also the record labels and the film companies. Pathe news etc.

The problem with so many radio stations, as far as I am concerned, is that it is full of axe grinders and chattering. That's why I like Classic FM. :grinning:

Alan, Classic FM is my favourite radio station, listen to it when walking my dog (5 times a day) and while having breakfast and when I am painting. Eric

eric and alan i also listen to classic fm and because i am a sports fan also talk sport

lyn

Ironically my other half bought, as one of my Christmas presents, the Classic FM book on Johann Sebastian Bach. although of course we can no longer receive the station out her in Crete! :) I used to listen when I lived in the UK.

Maurice

Angel radio is a very good station. It’s oldies all day every day. It’s based on the south coast( Portsmouth and Isle of Wight) so there is some local information but ignor that and enjoy the music especially the music quiz nights. On line only unless you live in the south.

Alan,

Not officially, because before it will play anything I get a popup saying they don't have broadcasting rights outside the UK and asking for my UK postcode. I inserted by son's postcode and it played immediately. So it obviously takes a quick look at my IP address and then pops the question. But thereafter it appears that no checking takes place! So I guess that if I used the postcode of Buckingham Palace or the House of Commons there would be very little that they could do about it. :)

Thanks,

Maurice

Alan, Classic FM is my favourite radio station, listen to it when walking my dog (5 times a day) and while having breakfast and when I am painting. Eric
Had to visit the doc this week and classical FM was on with good speakers. Took my mind of it all. They were playing an Irish melody with a full orchestra. It might have been from Darby O'Gill and the Little People.

1/6p now £4. i sent for a lot of these books of ebay. transistor radio 40 shillings. in 1960 lol

Attachments

• practical.jpg
    practical.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 9
My husband used to have lots of those! We've still got valves in the shed, not the useful common ones though. The radios were damaged in the loft when part of the roof came off in the storms a few years ago.
rosie.

Back