• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Radio

M

Mossy

Can you remember on the radio the shipping forcast....Rockhall Malin Outer Hebiradies ect;

Mau-reece

l remember that part of the shipping forecast, added to the outer hebrides, the falkins, dogger bank, and l think scaper flow.......it was such a long time ago l'm lucky to remember any of the names, l know there must be more, can anyone add to the list.......Brenda

Can you remember on the radio the shipping forcast....Rockhall Malin Outer Hebiradies ect;

Mau-reece
maureece , remember the radio programmes from years ago, life with lyons "ect" like all young people at the time we had life to discover, not sitting in the house , on sundays i used to go frantic to get out of the house , when my father turned on the radio to listen to "sing something simple" the trouble was no picture houses open, no clubs just a dead world , we used to go to the baptist church in edward road birmingham where you could get a cup of tea and a biscuit, but i do remember sitting still to listen to a live commentary , live from vietnam about the battle for "bien den phu " dont know whether i have spelt it correctly also staying up all night to listen to the commentary of "randlph turpin " beating sugar ray robinson for the world middleweight championship, also "alaster cooks "letter to america , nowadays i do listen to the radio, but there is a marked absence of good journalists, in the w midlands , in my opinion "ed doolan comes out on top, especially his programme ,"the other side of "i was listening the other week to him interviewing richard todd a repeat but still worth listening to ;you can listen to archive material on bbc 7 happy listening, rwm

One morning last week I woke sometime between 4.0am/5.0am (I think) could not get back to sleep, so I put Radio4 on and was surprised to hear the shipping forecast - Lundy, Fastnet, etc. I think it got me back to sleep before they had completed a circuit of the British Isles.
:)

I cant remember them all and I should do as when I was in the 5th. form I did the shipping forecast map as a project. No wonder I grew up to like locomotives (kettles not boxes):p:p:p

radio 4 longwave at 05.20 after the world service programs end, I hear it most mornings, if not then 12 midday or 5.55 pm
No problem picking it up here in Droitwich

Not having a boat and being well land bound I rarely listened to the weather forcasts. ButIi did listen to Saturday Club, with Brian Matthew, who still broadcasts now and compulsory listening was Sunday Lunch times, "Round the Horne" with Kenneth Horne ect.

I loved ''Sailing-by'' which followed the shipping forecast & possibly still does?
It's still on John, though it precedes the night-time forecast, rather than follows it. There might well be riots in the streets if it was ever taken off. Controversy still rages around the decision in 2006 to stop playing the 'Radio 4 UK' theme at the start of the day's transmission, the first item that followed it was the morning shipping forecast. In fact, that subject is still mentioned on 'Feedback' on R4. At the time, the decision caused outrage, with questions asked in parliament (honestly).
Radio 4 devotees do not take kindly to revolutionary changes!

Not having a boat and being well land bound I rarley listened to the weather forcasts. But i did listen to Saturday Club, with Brian Matthew, who still broadcasts now and compulsory listening was Sunday Lunch times, "Round the Horne" with Kenneth Horne ect.
Bill, that Sunday lunchtime comedy slot, which followed Family Favourites, was one of the highlights of my week. There were so many great programmes that came and went - don't get me started! For me, Round The Horne was the daddy of them all; I can listen to them now (they are often repeated on Radio 7) and have tears running down my face from laughing - bona!

Mohawk ... one doesn't normally approve of riotous behaviour; but I'm inclined to agree, I'd 'take to the streets' in its defence right enough! I'm SO glad it still exists ... even though I no longer get to hear it, I'm strangely comforted just knowing that it still alive and kicking.

Ditto: ''Round the Horne'' - absolutely brilliant!

Glad to have provided you with some comfort, John. Actually, I know just what you mean; I don't listen to Radio 3 or The Archers, but I like to know they're there!

Couldn't let this one pass by. The Shipping Forecast I remember as a child was comforting to hear for some reason. I can't remember anyone explaining anything about it to any of us in Birmingham even though it was part of our daily lives listening to the radio all those years ago. I'm glad it's still around and I had to have a look to see what's what about it. You can read about the regions on this Wikipedia site:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipping_Forecast and from Youtube a hilarious play on the reading of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWl0QD9W-Oc
I love the "Sailing BY" music as well.

That's a good point; it was totally incomprehensible to a child living in Birmingham! Was it on just before or after 'Listen With Mother'?

I'm not sure that I heard 'Round the Horne' at the time, but am now a great fan. Didn't see the recent-ish stage version, but did see the television play in which Michael Sheen played Kenneth Williams, and I've also seen (twice) David Benson's one-man play about Williams.

Are there any Archers listeners here?

Bill Parker, Brian Matthews is still on of a Saturday morning on Radio 2 8:00 -10:00 am - The Sound of the Sixties. Its still great music being played and some obscure ones I had never heard of, but his voice still remains the same.

Back