• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Radiation Gas Fires Thimblemill Lane Aston

Been reading the various messages. The controls company was Howletts and later became T I gas controls. John Walklate worked for them in the development and we met again at cannons years later. Can't remember the name of the technical director who was an ex SAS man in the war

Having worked at Radiation Gas Fires I was looking through the internet to see if there was much written about it. This was one of a very few sites that mentions the firm. I attached a letter about my time there which may be of interest to others. It was an eventful 4 years that I worked there.

Attachments

• RadiationAscot19741978.pdf
    243.8 KB · Views: 40
Having worked at Radiation Gas Fires I was looking through the internet to see if there was much written about it. This was one of a very few sites that mentions the firm. I attached a letter about my time there which may be of interest to others. It was an eventful 4 years that I worked there.
Hi. I worked at Radiation Gas Fires (NWGH) in the Computer Dept on the top floor of the Thimble Mill Lane office from 1975-1977. Remember Garth Griffiths and Joy. Lovely place to work, nice social club too.

I have four Radiation works magazines dating to 1966, 1968, 1970 and 1979 with lots of photos. I can share them with you on Facebook messenger if you would like. I worked there myself from 1965 until it closed down with just one year out.
Hi, my name is Mike Fage, I would be very interested in seeing the works magazines, especially the photos. Can you post them?

Radiation Gas Fires was my first employer and I read with great interest the letter by mdf and other postings. I am forever grateful to Aileen Rotheram (Personnel Manager) and Eric Imison(FD) for giving me a chance in 1968 as a commercial apprentice/trainee accountant. As part of my training I worked in all areas of the business and therefore the names mentioned are nearly all familiar. Having done the rounds for my first year I ended up in the Cost Office under Harry Workman and Alan Smith. Other people I worked with included Dave Hipkiss, Gerry Ashforth and Alan Davis.
I was promoted to supervisor of the Accounts section and then on qualifying in 1973 was made Cost Accountant at M Howletts (Radiation Gas Controls) when Harry Wass was the MD.
I too have kept a copy somewhere of the Essex Works magazine (the one with my picture in!) and will attempt to find it.
Odd memories are of playing snooker in the social club, staff dances at Penns Hall, going round the factory with the wages on a Friday afternoon and believe it or not the toilet situation with various categories of toilet depending on your position in the company as follows: works, weekly staff, monthly staff, management and directors.

Malcolm I was an engineeering drawing office apprentice at Radiation Gas Fires from 1967 to 1972 , under John Bushell.
I also did the Friday afternoon wages run for the extra 50 P. See my past posts. I wonder if i remember you.

Radiation Gas Fires was my first employer and I read with great interest the letter by mdf and other postings. I am forever grateful to Aileen Rotheram (Personnel Manager) and Eric Imison(FD) for giving me a chance in 1968 as a commercial apprentice/trainee accountant. As part of my training I worked in all areas of the business and therefore the names mentioned are nearly all familiar. Having done the rounds for my first year I ended up in the Cost Office under Harry Workman and Alan Smith. Other people I worked with included Dave Hipkiss, Gerry Ashforth and Alan Davis.
I was promoted to supervisor of the Accounts section and then on qualifying in 1973 was made Cost Accountant at M Howletts (Radiation Gas Controls) when Harry Wass was the MD.
I too have kept a copy somewhere of the Essex Works magazine (the one with my picture in!) and will attempt to find it.
Odd memories are of playing snooker in the social club, staff dances at Penns Hall, going round the factory with the wages on a Friday afternoon and believe it or not the toilet situation with various categories of toilet depending on your position in the company as follows: works, weekly staff, monthly staff, management and directors.
Harry Wass was my brother. Was he in any of the pictures you have. I remember as a child his rover car, with driver, and the helicopter he was brought to dads funeral in. What a show off!

Harry Wass was my brother. Was he in any of the pictures you have. I remember as a child his rover car, with driver, and the helicopter he was brought to dads funeral in. What a show off!
Hi ,
I am in the process off clearing the loft out and hopefully will find the Essex works magazine(s) which may contain a picture of Harry. I remember that he lived not far from me in Walsall Road, Four Oaks and do recollect him having a Rover 2000.
Malcolm.

hi my name is Nigel Boyce I worked there from 1976 till it closed in the warehouse for a year then the loading bay for my remaining time it was a simple job but I very much enjoyed it there as the atmosphere was great because of the staff I worked with. my boss (foreman) was a chap named Ray Knight a very tall and well built chap with a beard and always smoked castella cigars, I also remember a lad named Ivor McGuinness who I worked alongside of. I noticed there is no mention of the portable gas fire they made called the snug bug of which my father was the foreman of his name was Douglas Boyce and the staff on the production line nicknamed him sung bug Doug which he found amusing. sorry to say that he passed away 10/03/2020 of dementia.

Hi ,
I am in the process off clearing the loft out and hopefully will find the Essex works magazine(s) which may contain a picture of Harry. I remember that he lived not far from me in Walsall Road, Four Oaks and do recollect him having a Rover 2000.
Malcolm.
Thanks for that Malcolm. I lost touch with him many years ago and of course he is long since dead, as is his wife and daughter. Any help would be appreciated. I lost touch with my other brother only to find he recently died in France, and am aware I have a duty to the family of keeping our tree as up to date as possible.

I was intrigued as to what products a company called Drynamels would manufacture (couldn't imagine a dry enamel) as mentioned in this thread. I now know thanks to last post.

Back