• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Raddlebarn Secondary Modern School Selly Oak

aggie2347

master brummie
I attended this school from 1950 to 1954. Mr Leek was the Headmaster all Male teachers if I remember right. I went back in 2010 on a trip down memory lane and was allowed to look around the building which were now used as a Remedial Centre. See photos also one of the Dell where the School put on a pageant I took the part of Queen Elizabeth if I remember right.

Attachments

• DSCN1672.JPG
    DSCN1672.JPG
    1,005.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN1674.JPG
    DSCN1674.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • My old class room 1954.JPG
    My old class room 1954.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • DSCN1675.JPG
    DSCN1675.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • DSCN1676.JPG
    DSCN1676.JPG
    929.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20210719-212721_USB Media Explorer.jpg
    Screenshot_20210719-212721_USB Media Explorer.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Essentially a good school with a sports field, workshops, a garden and working on a farm potato picking. Also, there was a annex in Raddle Barn Road whilst in class there Mr Leek announced that the King had died. I don't think we had School Dinners but I remember going to the Baths in Healey Road and playing Hockey in Umberslade Park. The marvellous thing is I can remember what happened 60 odd years ago but not what I had for dinner yesterday. All the Best.

I was at Selly Oak Boys from 62 to 66. Raddle Barn was the lower school in those days. I remember break times when we had to walk between schools buying a small fresh loaf from the bakery on the corner and eating it while it was still warm.
Teachers I can remember: Mr Leek the Headmaster , Mr Blackhall Deputy Headmaster,Mr Waldron, Mr Bradley, Mr Pullen Science, Mr Goddard Woodwork.

Thanks for the name. All I remember was that the bread was better than anything we could get in the school tuck shop. Another memory was when I was in 4th year calling in at The Country Girl and having a sneaky bottle of brown ale. I actually got caught out at that one and received 6 of the best for that.

I attended this school from 1950 to 1954. Mr Leek was the Headmaster all Male teachers if I remember right. I went back in 2010 on a trip down memory lane and was allowed to look around the building which were now used as a Remedial Centre. See photos also one of the Dell where the School put on a pageant I took the part of Queen Elizabeth if I remember right.
Great pictures of the school. Not a lot seems to have changed since I was there. It was our lower school at that time. The taller part of the building was the woodwork room downstairs and the science lab an a classroom upstairs when in those days. I remember playing “Polly on the mopstick” against the walls at break time.

I was at Selly Oak Boys from 62 to 66. Raddle Barn was the lower school in those days. I remember break times when we had to walk between schools buying a small fresh loaf from the bakery on the corner and eating it while it was still warm.
Teachers I can remember: Mr Leek the Headmaster , Mr Blackhall Deputy Headmaster,Mr Waldron, Mr Bradley, Mr Pullen Science, Mr Goddard Woodwork.
I attended 66-71 and went for IIRC Chemistry class at Raddle Barn. I remember the bakery well, small individual Hovis loaf and 2oz of cheddar to munch on the way back to Selly Oak Boy's

I attended 66-71 and went for IIRC Chemistry class at Raddle Barn. I remember the bakery well, small individual Hovis loaf and 2oz of cheddar to munch on the way back to Selly Oak Boy's
I’m pretty sure it was Mr Pullen who took chemistry at Raddlebarn. The chemistry lab was upstairs over the woodwork room.

Back