• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rackhams Store

Have just found out that I should have said Garrard.
I actually typed this a little while ago but forgot to send it, but thanks to Williamstreeter for also pointing it out

The earliest reference to Rackham's in firectories is in 1882, where the reference is:

Rackham & Matthews, drapers, 77 & 78 Bull street &'l &
2 Victoria buildings, Temple row,
In 1880 Rackhams is not listed, but there is:
Mattlews Joseph, importer of foreign jewellery, ladies'bags,
purses, albums, brushes, combs, toys & games of every
description, 100 Bull street
and
Matthews William, clothier, 15 Bull street
Can find no reference to Colmore Row in 1880 for either Rackhams or Matthews, though, of course there could have been another firm of another name that merged with the

The House of Fraser Achieve has an article on the history of Rackhams. Here are some highlights:

The roots of the business is Drapery Store opened by William Riddell and Henry Wilkinson in 1851

The store became known as Rackhams & Co. c.1881, named after John Rackham who over 20 years had risen from being an apprentice to managing the business.

Over the period up to 1914 Rackham's expanded into a number of premises in the Bull Street / Temple Row area including in the North Western and Windsor arcades.

No mention of them having a store in Colmore Row.
More here: https://www.housefraserarchive.ac.uk/company/?id=c2600

The House of Fraser Achieve has an article on the history of Rackhams. Here are some highlights:

The roots of the business is Drapery Store opened by William Riddell and Henry Wilkinson in 1851

The store became known as Rackhams & Co. c.1881, named after John Rackham who over 20 years had risen from being an apprentice to managing the business.

Over the period up to 1914 Rackham's expanded into a number of premises in the Bull Street / Temple Row area including in the North Western and Windsor arcades.

No mention of them having a store in Colmore Row.
More here: https://www.housefraserarchive.ac.uk/company/?id=c2600
I worked there as a Christmas temp from Septemebr to January, it was great.
I was in the Toy department and wrapped the purchases for those lazy people who thought it was beneath them. One of the other temps was Tolkiens grandaughter.

I worked there as a Christmas temp from Septemebr to January, it was great.
I was in the Toy department and wrapped the purchases for those lazy people who thought it was beneath them. One of the other temps was Tolkiens grandaughter.
some people may not have been able to wrap purchase,..do to some reason or other. not all disabilities can be seen.:(

some people may not have been able to wrap purchase,..do to some reason or other. not all disabilities can be seen.:(
I'm sorry if you took offence to my comment, non was intended.
I am fully aware that not all conditions are not obvious, especially having had 3 disabled children.

I think Rackhams could be intimidating, well at least in the early 1960s it felt that way. The shop was obviously aimed at the discerning. My view of it at the time was a place for older, more ‘conservative’ customers. And of course, if you were young and dressed in the modern fashions, I think it was not the place for you. But as time went by, it woke up to the possibility of the young being potential customers. Viv.

I think Rackhams could be intimidating, well at least in the early 1960s it felt that way. The shop was obviously aimed at the discerning. My view of it at the time was a place for older, more ‘conservative’ customers. And of course, if you were young and dressed in the modern fashions, I think it was not the place for you. But as time went by, it woke up to the possibility of the young being potential customers. Viv.
:grinning:
my mom said it is too bwoody posh. so we went in Henrys. not so many Mr.Peacocks walking around watching you.

Viv,

I loved the top and the ground floors of Rackhams way back in the late 1950s. I didn't find it that intimidating, but just knew that most of their stuff was well out of my league at that time. The top floor was my favourite because of all the grand pianos that I simply just wanted to play, but didn't dare. Had I had that sort of money, I would have had no hesitation. After all. if I was intent on buying an instrument, I would be expected to give them all a good try! Sadly the price with inflation is even more out of my league. :)

Maurice :cool:

Viv,

I loved the top and the ground floors of Rackhams way back in the late 1950s. I didn't find it that intimidating, but just knew that most of their stuff was well out of my league at that time. The top floor was my favourite because of all the grand pianos that I simply just wanted to play, but didn't dare. Had I had that sort of money, I would have had no hesitation. After all. if I was intent on buying an instrument, I would be expected to give them all a good try! Sadly the price with inflation is even more out of my league. :)

Our Maurice
you should have done what beethoven did in the film, bill and ted .have a good try and then get flung out:grinning:
1604745231014.png

Well, why not, so long as they are playable. It's a bit like a flash mod on call whenever you want it if there is someone about who can play. Meanwhile back to the Rackhams thread before the mods lose their patience with us. :)

It was a bit like that. But you could have an account there which if I remember correctly gave interest free credit, so I choose to buy some cricket batting pads, I ordered left-hand pads, the rather snooty assistant obviously thought I was winding him up, which went to show that a smart accent didn't necessarily mean good product knowledge.

Rackhams had good Toy Fairs (or is it Fayres?) I used to like the coffee shop on the second floor, and the Food Hall, also the perfume department.
It's mentioned in an early episode of Peaky Blinders, when Tommy talks about buying champagne from there - and possibly having it delivered.

Rackhams had good Toy Fairs (or is it Fayres?) I used to like the coffee shop on the second floor, and the Food Hall, also the perfume department.
It's mentioned in an early episode of Peaky Blinders, when Tommy talks about buying champagne from there - and possibly having it delivered.
Yes the Food Hall was really good, especially late Saturday afternoon when they reduced the prices on the fresh produce and cream cakes.

The window displays were usually striking, especially at Christmas. This one from the B’ham Mail archives looks about 1960s. I
loved ski pants - although this scenario probably hinted at Christmas at a ski lodge in the Alps, and not clothes for hanging out with your mates on the street. Viv.

11BB097A-25E5-4D7D-A699-A013E53A24BC.jpeg

My wife was briefly a very junior member of the window dressing team, but at the old Rackhams before it became part of House of Fraser in 1960's

From the Birmingham Mail archives images.

I remember the lovely window displays
View attachment 129532View attachment 129533

And the make-up counters - of course

View attachment 129534

Never queued for the January sales but plenty of people did
View attachment 129535

And if you were well heeled it must have been THE place to buy your wedding dress

View attachment 129536

Viv

Although not at all well heeled, I did actually buy my wedding dress from Rackhams! Mind you this was in the '80s so perhaps it had come a bit more down market by then! Nice dress though...

IMG_6803 (1).jpg

Back