• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

R. J. Willis Greengrocer

LaytonLily

knowlegable brummie
Does anyone have any memories of E. J. Willis greengrocer ? I am typing up my father's memories (he hand wrote them many years ago, and is long dead now). I think it would be about 1930 - this is something I have just typed :

Mr Willis then had a greengrocery shop built in the Bull Ring and it was the first of it’s kind where you could walk round and make your choice. He put a large electric sign across the front of the shop which lit up with the words EAT MORE FRUIT. He had gold-plated barrel scales that lit up when the goods were weighted.

My brother worked for R F Willis who were greengrocery wholesalers in Dean Street in the 1950s, he used to deliver veggies and fruit to shops and restaurants.

Thank you for your response. You might be interested in some of the other memories my father had. Though he would have worked for Willis about 1930, so quite a bit earlier. My father's cousin - Wiliam (Bill) Aston - worked for Mr Willis and extended the orders to include many of the big stores in centre of Birmingham so the Dean Street Warehouse was built. The orders at that time were deilvered in an old Ford T lorry. He made Billy a partner, the business was sold to Peacocks (?) then about 40 years later Billy so the company to Ross Group and became a millionaire (or according to my father he did !). Not sure of any of these dates.

Back