• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

R&J Hill Sandpits Cigarette Cards by the Spinet House

A Sparks

master brummie
I was just reading a blog article - London themed - about sets of cigarette cards which were supplied by the Spinet House, London and Birmingham.
Pictures here
dickens-cards_0001.jpg

dickens-cards_0002.jpg
I had a quick Google as I wondered where they were based in Birmingham but couldn't find any address - does anyone know anything about the company please - just out of interest really.

Henry Archer & Co is listed as a branch of R & J Hill.
The firm of R. and J. Hill Cigarettes had been established in the Hackney district of London on Shoreditch High Street since the eighteenth century. In the twentieth century the company issued four series of hand-colored, real photographic trade (advertising) cards with their product, Sunripe & Spinet Oval Cigarettes.

1915 Kelly's lists
1578837189523.png

They are still there in the 1940 Kelly's

Last edited:
Thanks @pjmburns that's great, they were near the Jewellery Quarter then.

I actually live fairly near Shoreditch and have found the address Hill's were there - I think the building was hit by bombs in WW2 so no longer there and it looks like the building in Sandpits has gone too - per Google street view.

Back