• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

R.I.P : Harry parkes

Mrs T

Proud To Be A Brummie.
Aston Villa stalwart who was voted ‘Player of the Decade’ for the 1940s

Harry Parkes, who died on 4 March, 2009, aged 89, was one of the most popular players in Aston Villa’s history. A one-club man, he played during the 1940s and ’50s, scoring four goals in 345 league appearances, plus another 144 wartime games.
Born in the Erdington area of Birmingham on 4 January, 1920, he joined Villa from a local side in 1939 and established himself as a professional during the war years, helping the club win the League War Cup in 1944.
A versatile player, he was initially played as a forward, but over the years he was moved back into midfield and finally into his strongest position of full-back.
A retrospective poll recently voted him Villa’s best player of the 1940s.
After his retirement in the 1955, he ran a sports shop in Birmingham and sat on the Aston Villa board during the 60's and 70's

I think he did Ray but Pete said he had one down Witton years ago but they didn't mention that one last night on Central news. Jean.

In the late 60's I used to go to his shop in town to buy my football boots and kit. He will be sadly missed by Villa supporters. Mabz

Hello Jean,
After further thought,the shop was big for that time,It would have been the late 40s,it was either the top of Gravelly Hill,or Sutton New Road.

I seem to remember that Harry Parkes had a shop at the bottom end of Corporation Street for many years - but I'm not absolutely sure.
RIP Harry.

Anthea.

Got my first Tennis Racket from Harry Parkes 1958 still got it.

RIP Harry

anther. Yes ! Where you said. He did have a shop across the road from the Guild shop ( which was just around the corner, no longer there.)

Harry's Shop was at the top of Gravely Hill SIX WAYS ERDINGTON,just over the road from THE QUEENS HEAD.
Had many a sports gear from his shop,After dinning at the LUNCH BOX next door.
Another great VILLA PLAYER GONE, but never forgoten. RIP HARRY.

Thanks for that,Baron,Iwas beginning to think I dreamed it.
On the old stars,I saw Johnny Dixon play when he was in his fifties,for the old stars,they played 2 touch football and ran the youngsters ragged,and won 10-4.

Used to deliver milk to harry who lived in Erdington in the late fifties also met Max Bygraves outside his house he was a great friend of harry. R I P Harry.

Used to deliver milk to harry who lived in Erdington in the late fifties also met Max Bygraves outside his house he was a great friend of harry. R I P Harry.

Sorry to hear that Harry has past away, he lived in Lapworth and I remember Max Bygraves used to visit him there.

I remember in summer of 1980s when Harry used to announce on radio his fab "20% of everything sale"
Anyone know when exactly he closed his Corporation St shop?
Incredibly the 5th ex -Villa player too die this year :(

harry parkes also had a shop at six-ways, erdington opposite the ford dealer and the pub ( I can't remember the name of either, the grey cells are not what they used to be) I was at Boldmere school with his son (Neil I think) was the ford dealer Hangars? It was all a long time ago

Harrt Parkes was a friend of my father,when i passed my 11+ Harry gave me my hockey boots and stick. He was a very generous man . God Bless Harry

Erdington Born (South Rd) i remember my late mother and her brother often mentioning Harry......I,m not sure in what capacity they knew him but they always talked of him with highest regards......All the family followed the Villa and in those days they played for the love of the club.....
Vale Harry

Harry's shop on Corporation Street taken in 1968. Presumably on of the places where he used to "Give it away",

Attachments

• City Corporation Street 8[1].jpg
    City Corporation Street 8[1].jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 17
Back