• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Quinton Hall for aged men

sez

master brummie
Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Quinton Hall, there's not a lot of information I've been able to find on it.

I was searching the 1939 register for my great grandfather and he turned up in this home listed as retired & infirm. My research led me to understand the guardians of the poor/council created this home for men in 1931, it was demolished in 1980s, but aside from that there's not a lot of info I can find. If anyone knew of records etc that'd be great.

I want to know why my great grandfather was there, basically the last record of had of home was 1920, then nothing until he died 'of no fixed abode' in 1942. Now the thing that gets me is I found my great grandmother - his wife, with my grandfather and she lists herself as a widow...but he is listing himself as married.

No one spoke of this 'disappearance' in the family so I don't know what happened, rumor was he was pushed out by his brother in law, but they were buried together so I can't think he'd done something so horrific, as I doubt my grandfather would arrange them to be buried together...all very strange. If I could find out why or who admitted him and when to Quinton Hall, that's a start!

Cannot help with records, but the following (which I have divided into three parts to make it legible on the forum, describes a visit to the hall on 9.12.1940 . You are actually quite lucky as this year of the Post has only been added to the online newspapers in the last 3 weeks.

Quinton_Hall_Birm_post_9_12_1940_pt1.jpg
Quinton_Hall_Birm_post_9_12_1940_pt2.jpg
Quinton_Hall_Birm_post_9_12_1940_pt3.jpg

This is from the 1938 City of Birmingham Handbook. "Quinton Hall. This Institution, formerly known as Bourne College, was opened and occupied a few days prior to the transfer of Poor Law functions to the Council in 1930. The Home is utilised exclusively for the accommodation of aged men of the merit class. The average age of the patients is seventy-two, but many are able to undertake light work on the land and carry out domestic duties. The Institution which originally accommodated 169, has been extended to take a further 137 beds. An interesting feature of this Institution is the octagonal dining hall of 65 feet in diameter. Seating 324, the room is also used for religious and entertainment purposes. Kitchen facilities for serving 500 have been provided with a view to further extensions. The cost of the extensions was £28,000". Not sure what they mean by "aged men of the merit class". I will let you know if I find out more. Dave.

This is fantastic!!! Gives a really good insight to his daily life there - as much as it would have been nice that he had stayed with the family and not been what appears to be 'kicked out' it sounds like he could have been quite comfortable at least...it's just discovering the 20s- 1939 now and then round his death in 1942...thanks so much, I'll check the papers too, but my subscription for British Newspaper Archives expired so I'll search round before signing up again - just buying access to 1939 register was my big spend this month.

Thanks...aged men of merit, not heard that one before! He worked for the family business in Birmingham and it did fairly well, despite the German connections, so may be he was socially seen as doing well, I would assume he at one point had some decent money coming in.

Hi, I'm afraid I couldn't locate anymore information. I asked Carl Chin and Bham Library but nothing yet. If I do I will post on here where they are, I'd love to get more information about why my great grandfather was admitted and from where as I have no address for him from 1922 - 1938

I wonder why they didn't mention this...thanks so much, I'll see if they can be accessed!

I've contacted Bham Library again re the minutes and they've sent me a form to complete to request access, but they also suggested another source:

"I found another book which might be of interest to you:

https://calmview.birmingham.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=GP+B/2/1/2

Let us know if you want to consult it. I believe that in the case of this volume, the research would need to be done by a colleague in social services, which would take a while."

This, for me, looks ideal - lists when people came to Quinton Hall, where from and with some medical history! I've replied and they have today contacted social services to see about them researching on my behalf. I will let you know what they say, but as they've said, it may take sometime.

I really hope I can get access to this, could really help me put to bed some rumors about my great grandfather...fingers crossed!!

Hi Sez, sounds very promising and thanks for updating me.

I'd love to gain some access also so might just give the library a ring tomorrow.

As for taking sometime, I've come to realise patience is a virtue when it comes to researching your ancestors. So be interesting what you manage to turn via social services and what they charge for their time!

That sounds good - it was the referral book I had seen listed. I suspect that the research has to be done by social service colleague because some parts will be closed under 100 year rule. That means limited access.
Good Luck
Janice

So the lady dealing with information request is on holiday for two weeks...will let you know when I hear back from them, but sounds like it *might* be free research...but I'll wait for this woman to confirm when back.

Great thread, I remember "Quinton Hall Men's Home", and the huge house, I suggest that "Merit Class" was some thing to do with the "Poor Laws", when it was divided into the Deserving Poor, and Pauper poor. So the merit class were probably the deserving poor. Paul

Hi All

Sorry for the delay in letting you know the outcome of my research into Quinton Hall. I've only just had the information back. It doesn't give much away, but I have dates that my great grandfather was there and all I know is he was admitted for 'medical treatment' - no idea what that was though!

I've just asked if I can give you the email for the lady who did the research for me, if she says no then I'd just go through the library again, but hopefully she'll be ok with me giving you her email. Just be prepared to wait a bit as she deals with adoption paperwork etc so this isn't high priority and has to set aside time to go to the archives to get access to the records.

My Grandfather died in Quinton Hall in 1953 I had been told he died in the Great War, I found 6 years ago I was 9 years old when he died. I tried to find out about the Hall but got the same answer 'records sealed for 100 years' although Birmingham Library did confirm he lived there. This was 4 or so years ago and I was then told that the Library was relocating and the archive would be closed for x months. I tried this Forum at the time but got no replies. At this point I had got no where and gave up.
I now live in New Zealand, I miss Birmingham so much, and to read the comments are wonderful.
I last traced Granddad to North Wales, Llandudno, he then appeared as an inmate at the Hall. Does anyone know how the selection area for the 'merit class' worked.
Some years ago I did contact the Quinton Historical Society but got a rather 'sniffy' reply saying they could not help.
Best Wishes to you all 'P'

Back