• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Quinneys Farm Moseley/Yardley

RobertS

master brummie
Hello folks

I'm looking for any reference that will help me locate and learn a bit about Quinneys Farm. On the census records it appears on the Yardley Wood Road close to Bells Walk.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

there was quinneys dairyies milk rounds to commercial shops and home deliverys
around birmingham
have a nice day everybody best wishes astonion

Thanks Mike and Astonian

In the 1881 census the Farm is given as separate address. Living at the Farm House is William Young and his family, a gardener born in Small Heath. Its not possible to tell if he was 'market gardening' at the farm or working elsewhere. It may suggest that the farm house was the last remnant of a farm no longer in use.

The clues to the where are is that its in the reg. district of Kings Norton and the Parish of St Marys (Moseley), the next entry on the census is Alexandra House, Bell Walk (Occupied by a John Lowe, family and servants.) and the previous entry is Woodfield House, Woodfield Road occupied by Frank WCB Cane (or Cave), his family and servants, a Dental Surgeon. There is an interessting note in the column next to a household of his servants that says 'gadrener college'.

Have no more!

if you click on the link it should open in with Acrobat reader, afraid I can't find quinneys but belle walk and woodfield etc.

I can't find quinney farm on the 1890 map, unfortunately. I may have been demolished by then. A lot of extra building occurred between 1881 and the map, However , the map below gives the enumerators route , with a gap in the middle . According to the census, this was part of anderton park estate, and quinneys farm was part. By 1890 (and in the directory of 1882) Anderton house is named Mansion house, and is thus shown on the map. Not sure where (if anywhere) the farm is though

map_c_1890_Belle_walk_area_moseley_showing_enumerators_walk___Quinney_farm_in_space.jpg

there was quinneys dairyies milk rounds to commercial shops and home deliverys
around birmingham
have a nice day everybody best wishes astonion
Thanks Astonite - I was not absolutely sure but byou have confirmed it.

Thanks everyone.

The map is useful. Have tried a manual overlay of later map with Belle Walk on this one to narrow down the area and I will try to sketch out the development of the area prior to its date on the assumption that a farm will predate development. (Will also look for anything I can find on Quinneys the dairy.)

I would suspect that even a medium sized farm house would be dwarfed by much of the grander development of the time.

Will post anything I find for the record

Once again many thanks.

hi guys
if my memory serves me correctly i am sure waconda was based in the shirley district
way back in time until 1958 9 # 60 at least as i have said before i worked for midland dairy,s
but also when i left school i woprked with my uncle bill and his brother joe at the birmingham bottle exchange before i ever worked the milk rounds
which i may add i worked at the coop milk and handsworth dairys in my younger days and we would go out on a big lorry every day
across the midl#ands to dairys and brewers to collect tons of crates from these people and take them back to the depot
where the women would wash them on production line and resort them out and they would all be delivered back to the right companies and the orinional dairys
and thats how i can recall wacondas
wrapp up warm guys and be care ful out there and enjoy your day the best you can best wishes astonion

Folks - it was my Quinney ancestors that owned Quinney's dairies for example my ggg grandfather Richard Quinney (1819 - 1911) and his 4 sons John Quinney (1841 - 1913) (my gg grandfather), William Quinney (1844 - 1922), Edward Quinney (1848 - 1920) but principally Thomas Quinney (1853 - 1947) and his family. They owned and managed quite a few farms in the greater Northfield and Frankley area over the decades of their lives (e.g. Longbridge Farm, Mason Leys farm etc.)

There had been a "Quinney" farm in Rowney Green known as Seechem Manor. I understand that it had been farmed by a George and Caroline Quinney in the late C19. More recently, early C20, there had been Quinneys in the Rowney Green Amateur Dramatic Society along with a Godfrey Baseley of "Archer's" fame.

Hello,

The farm was Seechem Farm, now Seechem Manor, owned by the Quinneys, the most recent being my Grandparents and their children (My Aunt and Mother). My Grandfather was the last known owner of the Dairy.

Kind Regards.

Back