• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Quiney family of Burbury Street, Lozells

Lancaster

knowlegable brummie
Hello all. This is my first post so I hope someone can help.

My father is Dennis Quiney born 1922, twin brother of Ron & son of Albert & Dora Quiney. Attached is a photograph of them (left to right are Dennis, Dora, Ron & Albert), probably taken in the early 1940's because the Anderson shelter in their back garden can be seen behind them.

They lived at 232 Burbury Street, Lozells, about half way up on the right-hand side between Nursery Road & Wills Street.

My father & his brother went to Anglesey Street School then my father attended Gower Street School until the age of 13 (therefore about 1935). His brother Ron went to King Edward's Grammar School in Frederick Road, Aston. Their father Albert was a jeweller at Payton Pepper & Sons in Frederick Street in the nearby Jewellery Quarter.

After leaving school, my father became an apprentice motor mechanic at the Transport Department of the Co-op in Great Brook Street. Later he worked at Evans & Kitchen & at Mist's Garage, on the corner of Soho Hill & Hamstead Road, Handsworth.

His brother Ron I think started working in the insurance business but joined the RAF in 1941, serving as a navigator in Bomber Command. Sadly he was killed in action in January 1945.

My father was friends with Harry Pugh who I think he met at Gower Street School. Harry lived in Hunters Road then Roland Road & later in Finch Road. Coincidentally he also served as a navigator in the RAF during the War. Harry's father was, I believe, a higher grade postman at Key Hill Post Office. My father still meets Harry from time to time & they retell tales of Friends Hall in Farm Street where they went in the 1930's.

Does anyone remember my father Dennis, his brother Ron, their parents Albert & Dora, Harry Pugh or any of these places?

I'm new to this so I hope this is OK. In 2008 there was a request regarding the Quiney Family. My parents Nancy and Bob McIndoe lived at 230 Burberry Street next door to Mr & Mrs Quiney from 1946 - 1949. Mrs Quiney was a great neighbour to them especially when I was born there in December 1947. They knew Dennis very well and after Mum and Dad moved down to Bognor Dennis drove his Mum and Dad down to stay with them in around 1951. Mum is now 90 and very well. She was thrilled to see the request regarding the family and has very fond memories of them. She would love to hear from anyone in the family. Christine McIndoe

Christine.

Thanks for your reply.

My mother & father remember your Mum & Dad & we'd love to exchange information with you.

I've sent you an Instant Message with my e-mail address. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Instant Messages system but if you click on Instant Messages just below the top of the page & then go to Inbox, my message is there.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Back