• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Quiney and King families

Ancestry has certain years. 1945 was the first eroll after the 1939 one. I didn't look for her but just checked 40 Dolphin Road.

Last edited:
Having now spoken to my second cousin twice removed (!) Wendy, I am fascinated by her grandfather, George Walter King, (my greatuncle) who ran a cafe for years at 128 Monument Street which was opposite a swimming pool. The family ran it until the 1950s when it was demolished to make way for a road widening scheme. I am sure my grandmother would have visited there too as a child. Would anyone have any photos of the cafe or that area of Monument street or know where I could find some? Many many thanks everyone!!!

Monument Road not Street. Some photos here...

Looking at the maps, I think the photographer of the community centre would have been standing very close to your uncle's cafe.

Last edited:
Many thanks MWS! I have shared these with Wendy who is delighted. Her mother ran the cafe with her father when they were newly married but now has dementia. She hopes showing her these photos will bring back some happy memories for her.

Back