• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mills

I found this, does it raise more questions or answer one

Name: Robert Brown
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845 
Relation: Head 
Spouse's name: Janet H.
Where born: Scotland

Civil Parish: Birmingham 
County/Island: Warwickshire 

Street address: Bk Of Snow Hill 76 Snow Hill Wharf
Condition as to marriage: Married
Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Birmingham 
Sub-registration district: St George 
ED, institution, or vessel: 53 
Neighbors: View others on page 
Household Members: Name Age
Annie Brown 16 
Janet H. Brown 36 
Jeanne Brown 8 
Robert Brown 36 
William Brown 15  Miller

In 1891 Robert is living away from the mill at 159 Clifford Street, still foreman flour miller. Son William now married and shown as Jouneyman Miller. So they moved around to find work where they could.

Name: William Brown
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1859 
Relation: Head 
Spouse's name: Isabella
Mother's name: Caroline
Where born: Scotland

Civil Parish: Birmingham 
Ecclesiastical parish: St Margaret 
Town: Birmingham 
County/Island: Warwickshire 

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Birmingham 
Sub-registration district: Lady Wood 
ED, institution, or vessel: 18 
Neighbors: View others on page 
Household Members: Name Age
Edith Brown 9 
Isabella Brown 32 
Lilly Brown 9 
Maggie Brown 12 
William Brown 32 
William Brown 5 
Caroline Kennard 68 

I had a look at a 1954 map and the shape of the canal on Peter's map is clear in 1954. It is near New St station isn't it. I was way off. so Snow Hill Mill must be another one.

I think that you are right there Di, just looked at 1945 map, and as you say it's way of, I already have names of 1841 pink pages for Snow Hill, a Thomas Smith was miller and was not born in the county.
In a buisness directory for 1914 there is "Eagle Flour Mills, Snow Hill Passage", this may be the one!!
:flower: :cat:

Has anybody got a Warwickshire map of around 1668 that you could look at for me. In the Wingfield Digby archieves there is mention of a mill at Marston Culey, Marston Green, but that is the only mention I have found, and whilst I was typing that in I have found my pieces on Marston Green, and would you believe it says "The moated manor house adjoined the open fields and close by were the Lord's Park, St. Leonards Chapel and ESTHALE Mill on Kingshurst Brook". The manor house must have been at Marston Culey, still interested in a map if anyone has anything, if not it will go on my list for central library :smitten:

Map you wanted Loisand, Marston Culy not Culey remains of the old moat and ruins are over the by the Airport across the Coventry road explored them years ago
The River (brook now) went through Marston Green and is now under the Airport and comes out the other side of the Coventry Rd just below Hargraves Cottage are remains of the Old Manor House and Moat.
Marston Hall is stood at the end of one of the runways of the Airport and I think was demolished in the 50's it is shown on a few maps I have

Thanks Di and Cromwell, when I first started this little baby on mills I always had the inclination that there would be a mill around the Marston Green area, but every book I looked at never said anything about a mill, then it was just by chance I was looking through the national archieves for something else, that this mill at Marston Green jumped out of the archieves. Cromwell I know about the brook under the runway it's called Hatchford Brook, we started to walk the length of it last year (ha ha) you couldn't see it for all the rushes etc. :smitten:

THE MILL THAT WAS NOT BUILT
Going back to one of my questions about Halloughton Mill!!
"Consideration was given to building a water wheel at Halloughton, an upshot wheel working from a variable water supply was to feed two pumps. This was so that the pump could suppy water to the Hall and fill a large pool close by. The pool water was to drive a large 30ft diameter wheel, which would drive a pair of millstones. The problem was that it would take 11 days to fill the pool and if the watermill ran flat out it would take 7 hours to empty the pool.
Instead a horse driven power plant was built at Halloughton to drive the machinery."

Astforde Mill

I wondered if all you folk that live in Tamworth have any idea where Astforde Mill would be?? I know that it was in existence in 1495/96 and that it came under old Warwickshire, it was a water mill and was possibly owned by the Ferrer family. Do any of you know what district I have to research, is there anywhere in the Tamworth area with a name remotely like Astforde?? Thanks in advance for any help you can give :) :)

Still no progress with the name I'm looking for, but these are also on my list now:
Bitterscote Mill, Bole MIll, a cotton mill built on Lady Meadow by Robert Peel, Castle Mill (I have a wee bit of info on this),Hamel's Mill and Shannon's mill. Parts of Warwickshire were not taken over by Stafffordshire untill 1889, this is why Tamworth is included in my research. Any help will be gratefull.
Regards Loisand

Sampson Llyod II

The Farm at Sampson Road, Sparkbrook was built in 1758 for Sampson Llyod II, who was a miller and ironmaster. In 1765 he was co-founder with John Taylor of Llyods TSB. The Llyods were Quakers and their employees had to promise not to play cards or visit taverns. In 1791 he persuaded rioters not to damage the Farm. His daughter-in-law was an avid campaigner against slavery. At the moment this is all I have on the man, I'm interested in the milling side of the person, can anyone point me in the right direction. I have tried putting his name into the search engine, nothing, also nothing comes up on the National Archives. Any info would be gratefull. Thanks in advance :) :)

Found this bit in an artical about boat people does it help

Sampson Lloyd II

A Birmingham man who owned a forge and warehouses at Burton. Partner in the Burton Boat Co. Also a founder of the concern that was to become Lloyds Bank. Burton Boat Company 1762 - Partner in the Company at the time it leased the Trent, between Burton and Nottingham, from the Earl of Uxbridge.

Sampson Lloyd II was a successful iron merchant in Edgbaston St and his sons Charles and Samuel III established the slitting mill at Digbeth (near the present Coach Station)
In 1742 Sampson Lloyd II bought an estate in Sparkbrook and built a grand Georgian House in 1758 and called it The Farm ...he died in 1779
Sampson's grandfather Charles II spent 10 years in prison for his Quaker beliefs

Last edited by a moderator:
1719, 1760

Does anyone know, or could you point me in the right direction, as to where Dogg Lane, Shirley Heath or Teynters Green is. Reason being in Rev. Henry Greswoldes Arcives there is mention of a Horse Mill in that area. Thanks in advance :)

Shirley Heath

Hi loisand

Shirley Heath. The only areas I know in Shirley
are Dogkennel Lane and Tidbury Green.
Sue Bates History of Shirley Lists a number of Mills
namely the Colebrook Priory Mills and the Peterbrook
Mill. I need to dig a little for Horse Mill.
There were a number of Cider Mills around Shirley.

mike

City Rubber Mills

Thanks Cromwell for the photos :) :)
Any information on the City Rubber Mills at Aston Cross would be really appreciated.
I know that it was in existance in 1894, when there was a contract of employment between Mr G. C. Pratt and Birmingham India Rubber Co., as the forman of the City Rubber Mills at Aston Cross.
Thanks in advance :) :)

Sorry Mike, missed your reply, I suppose Dogkennel Lane may be the Dogg Lane I'm looking for. I'll be popping into Solihull next week so will go and scout round the library.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cromwell I have finally sorted out reply 4, and now know where your reply came from. The picture you posted is "Old Windmill Tump, Birmingham Road, Coleshill", not Nether Whitacre. It was part of Shepherd's farm buildings that lay at the back of Park Cottage in Coleshill. It is shown on the Yate's map of Warwickshire of 1789 and on John Snapes map of Coleshill in 1783, where it is the only windmill in the vicinity of the town of Coleshill. The structure in your photo formed the base of a post mill, the sails and mill house were carried on a central post protruding up from the roof of the building. It was later converted into a two-horse mill and finally demolished in 1964 like you rightly said for Ravenswood Hill housing development. :)

Pig Mill Forge

Any info would be greatly appreciated, what I know so far is:
Possibly "Mr Lanes" old corn mill, on the boundaries of Handsworth.
1790..lease assigned to John Hurd
1818.. a slitting mill occupied by Wright and Jesson.
I've looked on my 1831 map and can't find any reference to it, perhaps I'm going blind, but according to British History on line it was marked!!
I know 1797-1830 it was a settlement of Isaac Spooner's estate on the marriage of his son, Abraham Spooner to Elizabeth Mary Agnes Lillingston.
Thanks in advance for any help
:) :) :)

Shaw Hill House/Mill

Can any kind person help with this one:
Shaw Hill Mill.....Upper Saltley....I have the 1841 census, and have found Shaw Hill House on 1831-5 map. Was this house like a manor house, would it have housed the mill, would it have been a watermill or windmill. I also have a windmill in Saltley (as well as Saltley Mill). Alot of questions I know, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks :) :)

Back