• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mills

Thanks Cromwell, but on my map it does say shaw hill house, I know I'm going batty, even had the magnifying glass on it!!!:)

Snagged for you!

By 1659 there was a mill on Hockley Brook where it formed the Smethwick-Handsworth boundary. The mill may at that time have stood on the Handsworth side of the boundary, but a map of 1831-2 shows a mill on the Smethwick side. In 1659 the mill belonged to a Mr. Lane, probably Charles Lane of Smethwick Hall; a blade-mill had then been newly erected beside Lane's old corn-mill. At the beginning of the 18th century the mill was part of the Smethwick estate sold by John Willes to Henry Carver. (fn. 71) It was apparently not in use in 1733, (fn. 72) but in the 1720s and 1750s it was shown on maps as the Pig Mill. (fn. 73) The name, which was in use apparently in the mid 17th century and probably by the late 16th century, (fn. 74) suggests that the mill had been used as an ironworks. In the 1760s and the early 19th century it seems to have been worked as a forge. Between 1821 and 1826 John Whitehead bought the mill with a farm called Pig Mill farm from A. S. Lillingston. It was probably dismantled in the early 1830s. (fn. 75)
Now I know where Thimble Mill Baths got its name from. Thanks for leading us there Di Anne

If only some of these court actions were in today....
"Indictment v. the Directors of the Union Mill Company for setting up an unlawful undertaking for grinding corn and making bread"....1809
"Briefs for the prisoner in Regina (William George Hopkins, Oversley Mill, miller) v. John Humphries, labourer, his servant for embezzlement"...1856
"Examinations of Joseph Bunn, Claverdon, blacksmith and Mary wife of Joseph Alliband, Claverdon, miller in Rex v. John Brittain for theft of coals from Bunn's shop"....1824
"Complaint of Elizabeth Cooper (Clarke in documents, Cooper on endorsement, mark of Elizabeth Cooper) servant to Mr William Bustin, Wellsbourne Mill, miller v. her master and mistress and children for ill treatment"...1824
"Complaint of Thomas Lucy, Old Stratford, miller v. William Freeman, his apprentice, for absconding"...1824
"Complaint of Thomas Adams, Clifford Mill, Old Stratford, miller v. ?? Heritage, Stratford-upon-Avon, baker, for uttering a forged letter for delivery of flour"...1839

I see the Lacy's of Stratford are included there Loisand, I remember searching the census for them.:)

This must be the William George Hopkins, on the 1851 census.

William G. HOPKINS Head U 44 M Miller & Baker Emp 4 Men Stratford-WAR
Susannah HOPKINS Sis U 45 F --- Stratford-WAR
Elizabeth HOPKINS Sis U 40 F --- Oversley-WAR
Isabella HOPKINS Niec - 2 F --- Cheltenham-GLS
Susan STANLEY Serv - 20 F House Serv Cleeve Prior-WOR
Address: Oversley, Alcester
Census Place: Kinwarton Alcester, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2075 Folio: 242 Page: 3 FHL Film: 0087344

Here's some more for you
"Thomas Baylis, Stratford-upon-Avon, baker V. William Spencer, Great Alne, miller, for damages caused by careless driving of a waggon..1827"
"Information of samuel Edgington, Ettington, carpenter V. Joseph Hughes, Halford Bridge, miller, for willful damage to fence of Charles Tyrell..1870"
"Thomas Adams jnr, Clifford Mill, Old Stratford, miller V. James Cuthbert, Alveston, for stealing a sack from the mill of complaint's father Thomas Adams at Alveston...1854"

Just seen this thread. Loisand, do you know anything about the Silk family from Nether. One of my wife's ancestors. Charles Silk ran the Railway Inn there in the 1870s?

I have just come across this site. Arthur Silk was my Great Great Grandfather, b.1823/4 married to Sarah, maiden name unknown. His children were Thomas, Emma, William, Edwin and Sarah Louisa. Sarah Louisa and Emma both married men called Frederick Smith. I have heard of Charles Silk but am unable to connect him to my family. My Great Grandfather was a brewer and In the 1871 census Arthur Silk is noted as a malster as well as a farmer, so maybe there was a connection.Any further info. welcome.:)

Back