• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queslett Road Great Barr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to picture driving up both roads, as you approach the Scott's on the Queslett there is a slight line to the right, and on the Walsall road the line goes to the left, so looking at the photo again, it looks more like Walsall Road, than the Queslett, the houses all look alike on both roads....just looking for Hampstead Road ....not knowing either road before they were dual carriageways I am at a lost to say which one this is, but if push come to shove, I think I would now plum for Walsall Road......

I agree it does look like Walsall Road my gt uncle Thomas Smith lived in Jayshaw Avenue. The shops would have been further down on the right.

The houses on the left of the old photo seem to have a resemblence to the houses I see on Google streetview, they appear on the curve towards the Old Walsall Road.
The photographer was probably standing opposite the junction with Old Walsall Road.

Looking at the photo again i,m guessing the photo is early 30s on the left in the distance there appears to be a bus type vehicle I very much doubt any public transport used the Queslett Rd then as it would I think have been mostly rural.Dek

Yes dek, I know , but for some reason I have always called it Hampstead Road...not important unless someone asks for directions from me....

Walsall Road for sure !!

Hi Dek - I tend to agree with you.
After looking at the position of the tower on the Beacon Cinema in the right hand photo and when I zoom in on the road photo I can see an old style 'keep left' which possibly was for Jayshaw Avenue. I will carry on looking at the houses on the left comparing them with recent views.
oldmohawk
Beacon Cinema tower position from this Walsall Rd view looks the same as in the other photo
beaconcinema.jpg
Beacon Cinema tower shows same position and the step in the roof level seems to be the same as in the Walsall Rd view.
queslett_beacon.jpg

Hi I lived in Scott Road from 1945-1966 and I am firmly of the opinion that this is Walsall Road--The "posh" houses on the right are just past Jayshaw Ave
then you can see the shops on the left in the distance --Queslett Road then runs away to the left before "The Beacon" with its fish shop up the stairs !!!!--in the 60's when I first when to work the Queslett Road was no more than a country lane without a pavement just a grass verge.
The photo of the Beacon isn't as old a the Walsall Road photo because I remember the first traffic light been put up in the mid 50's just after we went to see the Coronation at the pictures as we hadn't a TV then.
Derek

Yes --very nice certainly remember the Scott Arms as in photo 1 --behind the brick wall was the bowling green and you can just see the Methodist Church on the left--my first school 1950 !!

My Father was born in Fariryfield Cottages Newton road just past the entrance to Red House park just 100 years ago.

Derek

I was born in Hamstead, I'm sure I've bored everybody saying that so many times, I remember the Scot's as it was in the 40's when the family all met there on Saturday nights. I went in summer when I had a vimto in the garden with my cousin. Hamstead Hill, which is the top of Old Walsall Road, is just out of shot in the picture. My Aunt Maud lived in Jayshaw Avenue, she moved there in the 50's when the miners houses in Hamstead were being pulled down. She and her brother Jim bought their house in the Avenue and I had to sell it when they died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back