• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queslet Road Great Barr

W

Wendy

Here's a photo of Queslet Road Great Barr around 1950.

Attachments

• Great Barr Trees Queslett Rd Great Barr.jpg
    Great Barr Trees Queslett Rd Great Barr.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 68
Is that the Tree's Pub? if so I saw the first bra illuminated by ultra violet lights in their back room during a Seekers gig. The shops on the right hand side had a double glazing shop called Patty 'O' Doors

Yes that's the Trees (now Schofields) - just a few minutes from where I live now.

Fay you must live near my brother, do you know Garnet Avenue?

Wendy what a small world - I live just behind the Cat and Fiddle. Garnet Avenue is mintues away from me and we have long standing friends that live in Garnet though for the life of my I cannot remember their house number - think I am having a senior moment.

My brother and sister in law live at the top they have been there about 35 years.

My friends live towards the top on the right hand side, I am sure they will know one another cos they have lived there donkeys years.

Well Fay they are on the left. Ask your friends if the know Bob and Margaret we all went to Tenerife together in February.

Those shops are still there, Wendy. I drive past them every day on my way home. Not changed all that much.

Big Gee

I know I see them when I visit my bro! My gran used to live on the Queslet next to the garage near the Scott Arms. Its always a bit sad as they demolished her house and it was a semi.:cry: Next door is still there.

Thank You Wendy , for the photo , during the war and just after the store to the left was a hut and they sold pasha cigs, in the fore front of the photo there was prefabs , can remember German POWS working there prior to the prefabs , to the right and out of the photo was a estate of houses that the Americans had taken over , in the centre of the photo on the road directly in front of the Trees was the 29a Bus stop, could walk to Sutton Park from there, also to the Odeon in the circle Kingstanding ,how the memories flow , have only been a member for about 5 days , and have seen and read and able to download old photos that I had never dreamed I would ever see again Thank you all .....would walk down from the Trees turn right and Climb a small mound of grass hill all the way to Barr Beacon ?

What a great pic of The Trees. Lived all my childhood on Queslett Road ten houses up from the group of shops that were to the right of the picture over Romney Way. The shop in the photo when I was a lad was called Clares and was a newsagents. It was where I had my paper round. Can also recall a butchers called Rochelles and a deli called Smarts where we got our bacon. Of the other group of shops nearer to my house the large one on the corner was a fruit and veg shop called Osbournes, there was an opticians and Wimbush the bakers and the large one on the end an ironmongers called Dugmores where in the back was a barbers where I had to have my hair cut.....What memories.....

:) Hi Fay. My second cousin lives in your road too. Her name is Vanessa Evans and has twins a boy and a girl. We use the Cat and Fiddle when we are up that way. Bye. Jean. :)

Used to drink in the Tree`s while on leave in the 60s, the time they had the groups playing, Johny Cowell was in one if them, fun times, fell of my motor bike on leaving one time :)
also in the 50s had a paper round from Clares

Found this one to start with Sept 2007,
The Trees back in the 60s via this door, the groups and dance was held,
great times:) Dave
14th%20September%202007%20Friday the trees door.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Old Trees Pub on a bit of a fun day
Sept 2006
30th%20Sept%202006 the trees.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Family friends called Hyslop, I think the spelling is right, owned the garage and lived on Uplands Road next door to us for many years. I doubt whether their children still own it or whether it is still there, they were very nice people.:) MO

I was born in my Nan's house in Queslett Road, just down from the Trees. Lived there until my parents moved to their own house on Pheasey Estate when my sister was born. My Nan used to wait for me in the Trees carpark when I walked down from the Girl's Brigade meetings at Pheasey Methodist. Used to stop at Clare's to buy choclate buttons. Happy Days.

The Old Trees Pub on a bit of a fun day
Sept 2006

Thanks for that photo Dave , it seems much the same as I remember it during 1944-1952 when Bill Trott was the Licencee , except the main windows have been replaced and remodelled , and the 29a Bus Stop is still there , is the back yard of the Trees still there ? off the to the left is a road that led up to a Dance Hall, that the local young people used ,anyone remember that ? hope to see more phtos of the " Trees" thanks again.

What a great photo, if you go to the left of the Pub then first left again you come to Tynedale Crescent..I bought my first house there..happy days.

Back