• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queslet Road Great Barr

Richie Mau Pete's going to ask for a haircut when he goes to the shop today. I will probable hear a few stories from those days. I will ask if they have any photo's from back then. Jean.

i went to school with Rob Dugmore and we stayed friends but lost touch a few years back, but yes, his dad was great working away on the hair cuts out the back.... pity he only knew one style, it only changed with what basin he used lol .......... if any one knows of Robs where abouts please let me know, thanks​

A couple of photo's of the Queslet Pub where we went for lunch on Friday. I prefer it as it was with the old features. Much more homely than it is now. Too modern for me but their food was good. Sorry Pete's not down sized the second photo. He was trying to duck to get out of having his photo taken but wasn't quick enough and don't he look happy. Jean.

Attachments

• queslett.JPG
    queslett.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 12
Talking of the Beacon cinema reminded of something the old uns will remember there was a small balcony up the B,ham Rd side with a couple of shops and a fish and chip shop (what a fish and chip shop it was) so popular the queue was always out the door and down the steps at the weekend.Dek

Beacon cinema small balcony
In the link below you can just about see the balcony where you bought your fish and chips.
Its a prewar pic of the junction - bit different to what it is now.
oldmohawk
icon7.gif

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?p=181784&highlight=scott+arms#post181784

Hi, I lived at the Home & Garden Stores,located to the right of your photo.My father owned the shop,maybe you remember Bill & Clare,also you mentioned the name Jennings,would that be Alan if so i went to school with him and Phil Fisher.I live in Harborne now and very happy to be here.

What fantastic photos. Just returned after a few months away and all the memories of my childhood are flowing back. The hardware store on Queslett Road in my day used to be called Dugmores. He used to cut hair in the back. i lived ten house up number 544.
Hi,
The shop was called Home & Garden Stores,i should know i'm Bill & clares son; Robert.The butchers was called Barrats & Bird o'h do you remember the drapery shop with the old lady who lived above,and the chemist,can anybody remember thier surname,circa 1950's early sixties. Good memories!

Hi All ,

This is a great thread !
I was born in Chantry Cresent in 1968, it was fantastic seeing the old pictures of the area.
I can remember the newsagents 'Clares' next to the Trees pub allways had a vast selection of crappy plastic toy's that I used to make my mum buy me !
Can any one remember Wrights Farm up at Doe Bank , they used to deliver the milk with a shire horse...and the milky would let the kids sit on the back of the cart .

Grant
HI, This is Dougy from the hardware shop,and yes i remember Wright's farm very well.Do you recall old ma Wright delivering milk & eggs,and does anyone remember the Andersons,i was in the same year as Rosemary.I may have photos of the Queens coronation i will check and possibly some of dads shop. Happy Memories!

THE LITTLE HARDWARE SHOP (McGANNS ) USED TO BE OWNED BY A MR &MRS DOUGMORE YEARS AGO AND MR DOUGMORE HAD ONE BARBERS CHAIR AT THE BACK OF THE SHOP, AND USED TO DO A SHORT BACK AND SIDES AS WELL AS SELLING HARDWARES.
Hi,Remember it well i'm Bills son and i hated having my hair cut,never the less they were good days.O'h its Dugmore,cheers

Hi Dougy glad you joined it's Jean Pete's wife just been on the phone to your shop. Spoke to Stewart. Will be up in the morning to collect some fuel. I put a photo on of your stores will go and find it. Take care. Jean.

If anyone wants to take a look Wrights Farm is on post #104 and the hardware shop is post #124. Bye. Jean.

Hi Jean,
Stewart is probably Teds son,i hav'nt lived there in many years although my son and family live on Raeburn road.Mom past away several years back,she was 87yrs young and smiling to the end,my sister has lived in Daventry for a good many years.

Hi Dek Dave we were on the Queslet road today at Mgannes hardware store. That is where the barbers were many years ago the basin cut being the speciality of the day. Jean.

Not far away up by the Scotts Arms. why? Dek

Hey Dek,
I believe you are Jackie's husband? Used to bowl against her in the Morris Commercial League at Wylde Green Bowl, along with her brother Tommy and both of his wives.
We also used to live near The Scott Arms just off Newton Road in Meadowside Close. How near are/were you?

I lived in Merrions Close, Great Barr as a very young boy. My brother was born there in 1952. I can remember the house but very little else. Talk of emigration was popular and a few families in the street took up the offer of the £10 passage. Strange what you remember from so far back.

Hi Zonda,
If you join (it's free) Friends Reunited there is the option to type in your road and see all of the other people who lived on that road with dates. It's amazing who you can find, I found an old (Great Barr Comprehensive) school friend. We went to that school in the sixties and I discovered that she now lives just down the road from me - I didn't know that - in California! Do join Friends Reunited, I think you will be very happy with the results.
Helen Kirby

Back