• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queslet Road Great Barr

THE LITTLE HARDWARE SHOP (McGANNS ) USED TO BE OWNED BY A MR &MRS DOUGMORE YEARS AGO AND MR DOUGMORE HAD ONE BARBERS CHAIR AT THE BACK OF THE SHOP, AND USED TO DO A SHORT BACK AND SIDES AS WELL AS SELLING HARDWARES.

Maur thanks for that. They are so helpful and can't do enough to help. If they havn't got it they will get it. They are just like the shops we used to use years ago with the personal touch. For a small business they are less expensive than some of the larger [much larger] shops in the area. Jean.

THE LITTLE HARDWARE SHOP (McGANNS ) USED TO BE OWNED BY A MR &MRS DOUGMORE YEARS AGO AND MR DOUGMORE HAD ONE BARBERS CHAIR AT THE BACK OF THE SHOP, AND USED TO DO A SHORT BACK AND SIDES AS WELL AS SELLING
HARDWARES.

...and they even had all the tools to hand. Hope they weren't just left with garden shears on occasions?

Richie Mau Pete's going to ask for a haircut when he goes to the shop today. I will probable hear a few stories from those days. I will ask if they have any photo's from back then. Jean.

Went down this road again today and called in at the little hardware shop that used to be a barbers in the back years ago. Going to have a word to see if they have any photo's of the shop from many moons ago. Jean.

I was so worried tonight as the Queslet was flooded and I had arranged to meet my aunt and uncle from Great Barr at my cousins in Sutton. Luckily they made it OK.
The roads were awful!

Wendy we were so lucky as we had been to Sandwell Valley and then Farmer Johns for a bit of lunch and watched the cloudes getting closer. We had just finished when it began to spot with rain and by the time we got home the heavens had opened and we stayed in the car for fifteen minutes. We couldn't go inside the pub as we had our dog with us. I will put a photo on of the sky to show you. Glad things turned out alright for you. The pub is left off the Queslett road Jean.

I hope I have caught the horses
Hi Jean - I have a feeling you like horses! I met the one below last year 2008, I patted him on the head and realised it was the first time in 50 years I had touched a horse. His name is Bill, and he is retired now, and he has his own paddock and stable.
He produces loads of 'stuff' to keep the roses growing !
Phil

Horse_named_Bill.jpg

Sorry for thread drift in my previous post. There is a lovely picture on the Digi Handsworth site of the Queslet Rd looking down towards the Scott Arms about a 1/4 mile away. The flat top of the Beacon Cinema can be seen. The road is single track and the vehicles look old. There I'm back on thread I'm using Windows at the moment and all the pretty icons on the right have disappeared!
oldmohawk

Attachments

• Great Barr Queslettt Rd Quarry.JPG
    Great Barr Queslettt Rd Quarry.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Grea Barr Queslett Rd.JPG
    Grea Barr Queslett Rd.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Great Barr Queslett Rd nearby farm.JPG
    Great Barr Queslett Rd nearby farm.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 14
We live quite close to Farmer John's, and at about 3.30 yesterday afternoon our road was like a fast-flowing river...

Talking of horses, back in the early 1970's I had a friend who lived in Elmtree Road. Driving home from his house one night at about midnight, a horse bolted out of a field on Aldridge Road, probably opposite where Farmer John's is now. I nearly hit him, and he galloped down to the Queslett island where he contentedly nibbled grass while I phoned the police from the call-box nearby. A cop soon arrived, and told me he thought it was a hoax call, as it was close to New Year's Eve, but there was the horse still on the road island. Neither the cop nor I had ever been near a horse in our lives, and it took an hour and a lot of swearing and laughing before we got him into the field behind what is now Mahoney's.
I heard no more about it, so presume that the hoss was returned to his rightful owner.

Big Gee

My maiden name is Jenninngs. It's my Dad's family who lived in Bevington Road. I know the name is fairly common in Brum.

Yesterday morning we driving home from Cannock along the A5. We were amazed to see a young man riding a horse bare back along the road. The traffic was so busy he must have been mad! My husband said I bet he's a traveller from the 'Chase'. I said we I hope he hasn't stolen him!

Last edited by a moderator:
hello ...my mom and ...brothers and my twin sister lived at 26 Farrier rd.
Pillinger is our name..

Angela which school did you go to? I am trying to think just where your road is. My lads used to go to Sundridge before they moved to Perry Common. Jean.

My brothers and sister l . went to Mary vales school.. l don't remember very much. My family moved to Canada in 1953. My twin sister and l were 6years old. bye for now

Wendy is this where your nan's house used to be. The garage has long since gone. The pet shop we use is opposite. Jean.

Thanks Jean for taking the time to do this. I am so suprized now I wish I had taken a photo. I can't belive it's all gone!

hi all anyone remember the scotts arms great barr my auntie and uncle lived in jayshaw ave, and i went quite a bit.
regards
paul stacey

hi all anyone remember the scotts arms great barr my auntie and uncle lived in jayshaw ave, and i went quite a bit.
regards
paul stacey
Paul my Grandma moved from Queslet Road to Waddington Avenue which is next to Jayshaw Avenue my lovely Aunt and Uncle live in Gorse Farm Road.

Back