• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queslet Road Great Barr

Looking towards The "Tree`s" from Kings Road

Attachments

• trees from kings td.JPG
    trees from kings td.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 10
My memorie is a bit misty but I remember going to the riding stables behind the pub I think you call the Old Horns. Was this the first island off the Chester Road leading to Great Barr.

Wendy not the old Horns the 1st Island you are thinking of is at the Junctions of Bakers Lane and Aldridge Road, Pub on the right ? Dave

Now you mention it I don't think there was a pub there origonally. I remember we had to fetch the horses from over the road leading to Aldridge............phew the old grey matter! thanks for the info Dave.

I think you are right Barron. I think it was built after the stables closed.

Wendy there used to be a field next to the Queslet pub [houses there now] that is where uncle Fred kept Prince our pony until he died at the grand old age of 30. He also kept rabbits there too. As I said houses took over. There are horses over the road still. Bye. Jean.

Wendy there used to be a field next to the Queslet pub [houses there now] that is where uncle Fred kept Prince our pony until he died at the grand old age of 30. He also kept rabbits there too. As I said houses took over. There are horses over the road still. Bye. Jean.

Hi Jean,
You probably wont believe this but my mother-in-law (great animal lover) used to regularly feed the horses/ponies in that field but the strangest thing is, if the ground was wet she would take carpets for them to stand on to avoid getting their feet wet!!! So if your uncle Fred ever mentioned anything about carpet appearing in his field overnight - now you know why and by whom!!! I will speak to her tomorrow. She will enjoy talking about that time. She is 88 now and lives in Erdington which means she would have difficulty in getting there now.

Prince was in the field right next door to the Queslett on his own. The other field which still has pony's is the other side of the road. As you drive past it and turn left before the Queslett pub it brings you to Farmer Johns. Since they refurbed it the fool has gone down hill. The Queslett is ok but the best pub for food id the Golden Hind by far. They do fresh veg and mash new potatoes etc. You have to wait a while for it but it's well worth it. Oh by the way my uncle died over eleven years ago. He used to keep pigs at the back of the old fire station on the same road as the old Birchfield Harriers and just accross from the Perry Barr tip. I actually rode Prince in the barr of the Boars Head pub. Fred was a good friend of the then landlord. Good job he was pub trained. Jean.

Queslett Rd at the corner of Collingwood Drive

The right hand shop I believe was Claire's (spelling) used to do a paper round from there in the 50s

The Trees, which became Schofields is no longer a pub. It is being done out to be a Chinese buffet restaurant.
I live on Bonnington way right at the top of Romily way.
The shops on the right of 'The Trees' has a hardware called McGanns, its brill, got everything you need, if he hasn't got he will get it for you, that's his motto.

The old horns and The Trees comes under of the boro Walsall, The deers leap comes under Birmingham and The Queslett comes under Streetly, Walsall.

The leap is a great pub , the beer is cheap and very very good

Carol yes the border is in the middle of Queslett Rd
on one form, place of birth Aldridge Staffs, but always classed as a Brummie Dave

What fantastic photos. Just returned after a few months away and all the memories of my childhood are flowing back. The hardware store on Queslett Road in my day used to be called Dugmores. He used to cut hair in the back. i lived ten house up number 544.

Carol and Dave the Trees is almost ready to open as a chinese Buffet and as it's only up the road from us we will give it a try. The Asda Queslet road now has traffic lights which makes it so much easier to get across the main road. There were lots of disruptions but now the work is complete it has been well worth the inconvenience. Jean.

Just wondering where the Asda is that you are on about. Haven't beenm back to the Queslett Road in over ten years and then that was only a quick visit. Last time I spent any real time there must have been 1975. Where has the time gone to?

Hi All ,

This is a great thread !
I was born in Chantry Cresent in 1968, it was fantastic seeing the old pictures of the area.
I can remember the newsagents 'Clares' next to the Trees pub allways had a vast selection of crappy plastic toy's that I used to make my mum buy me !
Can any one remember Wrights Farm up at Doe Bank , they used to deliver the milk with a shire horse...and the milky would let the kids sit on the back of the cart .

Grant

Hi Grant we still use the farm that farm and itstill delivers milk and sells new laid eggs. Not changed much will take a photo next time were up there. Do you remember Auther and Eileen Evans? Bye. Jean.

Back