• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queslet Road Great Barr

We used to live in Doe Bank Lane, They used to dress that Shire Horse and milk float up on May Days, it was quite an attraction then. I think it was from the same farm they used to collect our kitchen waste, from a pig bucket we kept in the back garden.

Goffy

Thanks for the very quick reply Dave M. Another question......Is the DBC (Danish Bacon Company) still there on Kings Road.........Wow Wrights still delivering milk I remember it very well. Worked on a lot of the farms during my school holidays. Had a lot of friends live on Doe Bank lane in fact my best man at my first wedding lived at numberr 66 I think....Paul Sheehan and just up from him a girl who was in our class at school Kathleen King. Anyone remember them?

When we go up for our eggs next i will ask if they have any old photo's. The owner passed away a few years ago and left the farm to his manager and his wife. They are both lovely. Do my best. Jean. PS. There are still horses on the farm but are all livery.

Hello Jean ,

I don't remember Auther and Eileen Evans sorry.

Hello Goffy ,

I too remember the horse being dressed up on May day with horse brasses.

Chheers Grant

Had to call into the Parson & Clerk, while in the area visited Queslett Rd have a few pics in time, one of The Deers Leap, mentioned on the other thread

Attachments

• deers leap.JPG
    deers leap.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 11
The surrounding roads at the Deers Leap, from the same position as before

Attachments

• brockwell.JPG
    brockwell.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 10
  • cooksey rd.JPG
    cooksey rd.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 10
Last few from that area

Attachments

• doe bank.JPG
    doe bank.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 9
  • queslett.JPG
    queslett.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 9
G G Jean Thanks have more in the area in time, busy doing a 2009 Calendar Dave

Last edited:
Grant photo's of Wrights farm as it is today only it is now named Beacon farm. The sheds at the top are where the chickens are housed. Always try to keep a promise' Jean.

In the very early 1950s our family lived in Merions Close, Great Barr. I remember very little about it being so young. One of my Dads favourite replies to the question " Where you going Dad" was " Up the trees at the back of the church to see a blind man about a dog" . My mrs knows a different version which is perhaps to fruity for this forum. Has this saying anything to do with Great Barr and the Trees?

Hi
Interesting to see the Queslett Road. My grandad lived there in the 1950s. His name was Herbert Walker. Any one know this name? Interested in any info anyone has.

Thanks

Anne nee Walker

A 1930's/1940's image of a very small bit of the Queslet Rd looking towards the Scott Arms, the Beacon Cinema can be seen - 3 bar telegraph poles - gas lamps !
Some discussion in June 2012 in the thread here suggests that this is actually the Walsall Rd looking towards the Scott Arms where the Queslett Rd crossed.
queslett_beacon.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of a little family hardware shop on the Queslett road by the name ofE.J.McGann. If you remember if from years ago it is still there. No wonder as they are the friendliest and most reasonable shop in the area. Nothing is too much trouble. It is by the Trees pub [or what used to be called.] Jean.

Back