• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queen's visit. Victoria Sq. 1970s

Paul1966

Brummie babby
Hi All,
I'd be grateful if anyone could advise the exact year of Her Majesty The Queen's visit to Victoria Sq in Birmingham, sometime in the early 1970s. I remember going along with my mother, with a large crowd in attendance. There appears to be nothing online pinpointing this date and occasion. She opened the Queensway tunnel in 1971, was it on this same visit? Whatever year it was, she made an appearance at a balcony overlooking the square, waving to the crowd. A memorable occasion. May she rest in peace.

RobT, Vivienne14, you did what the whole of the internet couldn't. You found a piece of history lost amid the mass of information. I'm really grateful to you. Thank you so much for going to such an effort. The papers do show when The Queen stepped out onto the balcony at Council House, Victoria Sq. I wasn't yet 5 when this occurred so it's great to see and fact-check a happy memory. My mother isn't well sadly but she is delighted with this information also.

Hi Paul. I’m so glad this brought some enjoyment for your mother. I found a couple more touching photos of the late Queen meeting people on the same visit, but particularly children, something she obviously enjoyed and did so well. Viv.

6477D968-C6E1-4A6F-B027-8F72AC369886.jpeg6DC017C4-E5D9-4D68-B527-920C9D9B2310.jpegDBEAC5A9-8945-4CB7-A7B3-CEC7F1F957B6.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Hi Paul. I’m so glad this brought some enjoyment for your mother. I found a couple more touching photos of the late Queen meeting people on the same visit, but particularly children, something she obviously enjoyed and did so well. Viv.

View attachment 172966View attachment 172965View attachment 172967
Source: British Newspaper Archive
Thanks again Vivienne. She and I clearly remember the moment when The Queen stepped out onto the balcony, to everyone's delight. It's great to have these photos and facts to help put it in context! Thanks again.

Back