• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Queens Road Aston (not Erdington)

hello sylv hope you well....please dont be alarmed its just my own personal filing system which confuses me most of the time lol...you will also notice under the photos its says ASTON BS (aston brook street) ..it just means that i have photos of all of those streets/roads stored in one folder on my pc....ps i have posted the aston brook st photos as well..wilton st was in lozells

lyn

A photo from the Imperial War Museum's site showing WW2 bomb damage on Queens Road, Aston. It was bombed on 11 December 1940, the longest raid - 13 hours - sustained on Birmingham. Viv.

image.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the photo viv i think eric was living in queens road at this time

lyn

Must have been terrifying Lyn if he was. The area looks almost obliterated. All those families made homeless, and the houses left standing look uninhabitable. Viv.

Must have been terrifying Lyn if he was. The area looks almost obliterated. All those families made homeless, and the houses left standing look uninhabitable. Viv.

for anyone viv but especially for a child..like i said i cant be certain if eric was living there then hopefully he will post something..

RE Astoness #33 and Viv #34 No , I left Aston in 1935, moved to Sheldon to be near the new Birmingham airport being built by my Dad's firm, Bryants, then Shirley in 1939, sadly my Mother died in 1943 so back to Queens Rd (no. 84) to stay with my Nan, by then most of the biitz had ceased. During 1940/41 most week ends we would visit our Nan and Grandad and I remember him taking me down the road to show me where the landmine (a type of Parachute bomb) had landed although it looked a bit tidier than Viv's pic, funnily enough our Nans house (opposite Atkinsons brewery where the residents used to shelter) was untouched yet our house in 'safe' Shirley was damaged culminating in us living in a Romany caravan on a farm in Earlswood for a few weeks (great fun-I was only 10). My Dad had tried to get my grandparents to come and stay with us but they would not budge, turned out it was the correct decision. It all seems so unreal now. Eric

Hi Eric. I expect it not only seemed unreal, but it would be something you'd simply want to forget. Thanks for telling us about your experiences. A Romany caravan on a farm when you were young must have been a true character building experience! Viv

Yes Viv, My younger sisters (now both in their 80's) and I thought it a great adventure (my parents probably thought different). We returned home when house made habitable, never missed a days school !!. The sad thing was the blast had flattened our chicken coop and killed all our chickens, that upset us more than the damage to the house. Eric

I remember in 1964 a girl named Carol lived in the flats opposite the Police Station and she married Lyndon Bennett from Holte road. I can't recall her maiden name though. They were quite new flats at the time.
Hi, Carol and Lyndon are my nan and grandad her maiden name is smith

I was born in Queens Rd, (1/89) in 1930, next door to Atkinsons Brewery whose basement was used as an air raid shelter during the war. Also have fond memories feeding their brewery dray horses who looked enormous to me, I was only a small child. My Grandmother lived opposite at number 84. The Queens Head was on the corner of Church Lane/Queens Road was one of my Dad's 3 locals, the others being the Grovesner and Church Tavern. Happy days. Eric

I was born in Queens Rd, (1/89) in 1930, next door to Atkinsons Brewery whose basement was used as an air raid shelter during the war. Also have fond memories feeding their brewery dray horses who looked enormous to me, I was only a small child. My Grandmother lived opposite at number 84. The Queens Head was on the corner of Church Lane/Queens Road was one of my Dad's 3 locals, the others being the Grovesner and Church Tavern. Happy days. Eric
I was born at 71 queens rd 1952-1962 86 queens rd 1962-1966 when the brewery closed our den was at the top in the gun tower you could see all over Aston John

Johny52, we lived in Shirley during the war and when my mother died in1943 I went back to Queens Rd to live with my Gran at No. 84 till I went in the RAF in 1948, came out the RAF in 1956 and lived in Vicarage Rd opposite the Girls school till we bought a house in Erdington in 1962. Eric

Johny52, we lived in Shirley during the war and when my mother died in1943 I went back to Queens Rd to live with my Gran at No. 84 till I went in the RAF in 1948, came out the RAF in 1956 and lived in Vicarage Rd opposite the Girls school till we bought a house in Erdington in 1962. Eric
Eric,Our neighbour was Nellie Moseley at 73 Queens Road my moms Mom was Amelia Till she died in 1948. During the bombing Mom was at the GEC for 18 years and at night thru 1940 under Atkinsons Brewery shelter they must have lived right opposite your family on your side of the road there was a Ballinger family their son died in Aden they had to take the window out of the house to get his coffin in I remember the Sayers family been a long time I use to get my hair cut at Wal Brannigans

do you remember a Nellie Dean she would show you anything for sixpence?
John

John, Don't remember Nellie Dean but Wal Brannigans rings a bell. I also worked at Osram GEC in the drawing office my first job on leaving school in 1944, my school was in aston hall road, only their for 12 months aged 13 to 14, my second job was at Hercules cycles Aston Cross till entering the RAF in '48 both these companies long since gone. There was a couple of Shops top of our entry, Staggs a general purpose shop and a green grocers in the 40's may have gone when your were born. Eric

Last edited:
John, Don't remember Nellie Dean but Wal Brannigans rings a bell. I also worked at Osram GEC in the drawing office my first job on leaving school in 1944, my school was in aston hall road, only their for 12 months aged 13 to 14, my second job was at Hercules cycles Aston Cross till entering the RAF in '48 both these companies long since gone. Eric
Eric I went to Aston Hall Road remember Smith headmaster remember doing my 11 plus I failed my first job at BSA Appprentice Toolmaker
stayed 6 months went to be come an Electrician I did it for 52 years working all over the UK our lives were exploring the bomb peks we could make a bicycle in a day and go-karts I had the fastest one in Aston used to test on the big hill in Aston Park memories
John

Eric I went to Aston Hall Road remember Smith headmaster remember doing my 11 plus I failed my first job at BSA Appprentice Toolmaker
stayed 6 months went to be come an Electrician I did it for 52 years working all over the UK our lives were exploring the bomb peks we could make a bicycle in a day and go-karts I had the fastest one in Aston used to test on the big hill in Aston Park memories
John
See you are in Chelmsley Wood I'm in Castle Brom

Yes, I lived in Aston Sheldon Shirley Erdington and now Chelmsley Wood, at 89 yo (90 in June) will be my last address also spent many years abroad. Eric

hi, Cookie did you live next door to Michael Brooks ? i lived at the bottom no 10 next to Mccabes scrapyard.

Cannot remember neighbours names except a shop top of entry called Staggs, had 2 friends nearby Geoffrey Harding and Alan Lock who lived opposite brewery went to school together 1943/44

Hi. My grandparents both lived in Queen's Road in the early 1900's (No 25 and 31) on either side of an Ansell's beerhouse called the Queen's Head (No 27). I assume this was the other Queen's Head (Lower?) suggested way back in one of the earlier posts. My nan's family ran a shop on the corner of Queen's and Grosvenor Road. They had left for Acock's Green by the start of WW2, just as well given the bombing. Lovely to see the pictures though as the area is unrecognisable now. Thank you for posting them.

This is a long shot but does anyone know anything about 120 Queens Road between 1890 and 1901? Are there any old pictures at all? I'm trying to find information on a john cummings who is at this address on the 1891 and 1901 census. Thanks all

Back