• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Queens Rd Aston

cookie273uk

master brummie
I was born in a back house (not back to back) in Queens Rd Aston in 1930, the house was owned by Atkinsons Brewery as were most on the Brewery side of the road, does any one have a street map of this area around this time . I cannot recall the house number, obviously something back of something, but my Nan lived directly opposite at No. 84, ?/113 comes to mind ??? Eric

I don’t think it could be back 113 Cookie, as the last houses before the brewery coming from Grosvenor road seem to have been 95, and the first ones after Church lane seems to be 115. I attach a map which shows what I am pretty sure is Back 59 (in red) and back 77 ( in blue). I can’t fit the back houses to the west of these as shown in 1913 to the 1922 electoral rolls, so am not sure of these.
Mike

map_c_1913_queens_rd_aston_showing_back_houses.jpg

John Night/ mikegee Thanks a lot I lived first left down the entry (opposite the letter O In the word ROAD just four doors below the Brewery. G G Jean I think the Wood Yard was other side the Road higher up opposite the "Queens" Pub somewhere by the letter U in the word QUEENS, although I could be wrong, its a long time ago. Although i say back house it was a three bedroom house with front and back garden but down an entry hence back house. Thanks again Eric The number 4/89 as just come to mind, will check with my Sisters

Last edited:
Eric please forgive me as I have the wrong road. Pete has just corrected me and said it is the one where there is now a police station. Jean.

Jean the police station is, I believe, in Queens Road, hence the name Queens Road police roughly where the Brewery was all them years ago !!! Eric

I passed it enough times when visiting mom up until ten years ago when she passed away. My awful memory Eric. They had built some maisonettes at that time and you wouldn't have recognised the road. Jean.

Lyn, Thanks a lot, haven't seen them before, particularly appreciate the first one, on the right, first entry down below the Brewery was where I was born in 1930 we left to live in Sheldon in 1935, my Nan lived opposite on the left. The bulders yard with lorry wasn't there then it was just more houses (until they where flattened by a landmine during the war), the second pic taken from Aston Park of the Avenue was the home of Stellas Bar mentioned in a previous thread named after Stella Hill the landlady, her son David was a friend of mine and a school mate. When they had visitors, which was quite often David had to sleep on the Billiard table. He had an older sister called Pat who I fancied at the time I was 14 and she was about 17. David done well in life and owns a large company called Hills Glass. Thanks again for pic will run copies for my sisters, might even do a painting of it leaving out the builders yard, Eric

Last edited:
That was my Nans local, she spent many happy hours in the Snug with her friends until she died in the early sixties. On the left of your pic where the trees are was the beautiful old vicarage in its large grounds where I attended many functions and Xmas does. The vicar of the time was Warman who would not marry my Wife and I because she was a divorcee, even though she was the innocent party ,as it happened it was immaterial as I was posted to Hong Kong by the RAF and we got married by Special Licence ( Dec 27th 1951) so that she could join me a few months later. Eric

Eric, my in-laws lived at 5/87 Queens Road, the first entry past the brewery. It was a brewery house, my ex-husband worked there, so did I, it was where we met, me 15 him 17 years old. His dad, 3 of his brothers and a brother-in-law all worked for Atkinsons. On the night of the big air raid which demolished a large part of the road, they all sheltered at the brewery, except for one brother who was in the RAF and on leave after being injured, he was blown from his bed but didn't sustain any serious injury.

Sylvia. cannot remember names of Neighbours as I was only 5 when we left in 1935, and when I returned in 1944 I lived with my Nan at No. 84 until I went in the RAF in 1948. I do remembere a general sell everything Shop run by Mrs Stagg a converted house and just below her shop there was a Green grocers, also a converted shop, the name could have been Rogers, not quite sure> Eric

Yes you are right,t the shop was called Rogers, It was my Dads mothers shop my Nans, I lived at number 80 Queens Road opposite, and was born in 1944, I remember Stags very well as Mrs Stagg had a phone, and when my brother John Rogers was killed in 1958 in Germany doing nation service she let my Dad use it a lot Happy days

More memories for me here. I lived in the next street, Gladstone Street, but the back of our coalyard had a very high wall which backed onto the back houses in Queen's Road. Anyone remember the yellowy muddy hop trucks when they drove past leaving behind a pungent , beautiful smell? I also remember being sent to the community air-raid shelter under Atkinsons Brewery after a bomb came bouncing into our Anderson shelter. A bloke was playing a piano and everyone was singing White Cliffs of Dover. Brings a lump to my throat just to think about it, it's called Brummie Pride I think. Regards, david.

Looking at above pic, I was born at 1/87 Queens Rd (not a back to back but a 3 bedroomed house with front and back garden) down the first entry past the brewery (just off the picture) in 1930, the houses belonged to the Brewery, Atkinsons. My Nan lived opposite at no. 84. I can still remember the dray horses clip clopping into the brewery entrance before they changed to mechanical transport. The pub at the top, known locally as the top Queens was both my Dads and NAN's local, my Nan preferred the 'snug' which was through the door nearest the 3 lads, it also had a Bar and Smokeroom (penny more on the beer here) and an 'outdoor' as the off licence was known . Every Sunday lunch time I would be sent up to the out door with a big purple jug to get beer for my Nan, naturally I would have a swig on the way back I. Eric

Last edited:
Here is a pic showing the houses where I was born. An extension of the previous pic. Eric[video]https://images.birminghamhistory.co.uk/coppermine/albums/userpics/10017/Atkinsons_brewery.jpg[/video]

I walked past this brewery many time to and throw on Saturdays. Villa matches round trip to Nechells.Dek

Hi Pete, The People's Dispensary for Sick Animals has a thread on the forum that goes back to 2002. The one on Lichfield Road has been gone for years and they list two places now but which one they are located at I'm not sure. One is listed as Grosvenor Road, Aston and the other as Dulverton Road, Witton.

HI JENNEY;
I most certaily remember it as i only lived along the lichfield rd when growing up ;
and by coincidence my next door neibour jackie; whom was working there all way back in that time
when i got talking to her ; as you do asking where are you from and that kind of talk ;
when i said lichfield rd ; and she said cor blimmey ; when i was young i worked there as a assitant
to the vet ; and we moved across to grovener rd and i told her remember her and the vet
she was a young welsh girl at the time; it goes to show what a small world we are living in ; aint it
best wishes alan ; astonian

I lived in church lane and i had my first ever pint in the queens hotel, age 15 walked up to the bar and asked for a pint of mild with all my mates laughing behind me, if the gaffer didnt know i was under age he must have been barmy, i couldn't drink that mild now horried stuff !!!!!!

He visited IMI too. I think it must have been the same visit. My Aunt Floss is on the left working on the bullets. I wonder if there is some kind soul who could enlarge this for me please?.

Attachments

• m30.jpg
    m30.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 20
Back