• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queens Head Greenfield Rd

S

steerboy

Hi all.

Has anyone any info on the Queens Hart 62 Greenfield Road Harborne which I assume is a Pub.
My relative James Mole is down on the 1911 census as living there where he is described as a Bricklayer jobbing and publican I have travelled up that road many times since the 1970s and cannot recall a pub.

Many thanks Steerboy.

1913 Kelly's lists 62 Greenfield Rd Harborne, Mole James beer retailer.

Phil.

Hi all.

Has anyone any info on the Queens Hart 62 Greenfield Road Harborne which I assume is a Pub.
My relative James Mole is down on the 1911 census as living there where he is described as a Bricklayer jobbing and publican I have travelled up that road many times since the 1970s and cannot recall a pub.

Many thanks Steerboy.

These may be of use

By 1821 there was no mention of a beer retailer in the road. going back, there is a beer retailer at 62 in 1888, and previous to that a beer retailer is in the road, but no numbers are given
mike

Hi PMC1947,Bammot and Mikejee.

Many thanks for your input the mystery deepens but your Kelly's info gives me a good point to start when next I'm at the Central Library.
The main thing that is confusing me is the name Queens Heart which is on the 1911 census which never appears again it seems.

Thanks again regards Steerboy.

Hi all.

Many thanks Steerboy.
Hi, this is a late reply as only just seen your post! I lived at 64 in the 90's and a neighbour opposite told me he had the stain glass doors from the pub, which was being converted to a council house, and installed the in his place, The deeds to my house included a clause that I couldn't use my property as a public house, assume it was because 62 was a pub. Once, when I was installing a fence posts in the back garden between the houses, I broke in to a large sealed off cellar which I assume was the beer cellar. Glad to have read your post confirming it was a pub and always wondered what it was called.

Hi Lady wood1. Just to say how interesting your post was after all this time. My interest was in James Mole who became a publican after returning from Queensland Australia with his wife and children in about 1900, can you imagine the culture shock after those sunny days in Oz to be in his first pub here which was in Dartmouth St on his children all born in Queensland. I have never discovered why he did this as his parents and seven brothers and sisters followed HIM out to Oz in the late 1860s.
Many thanks for the info. Acklam19. ( Steerboy).

Just picked up this thread as was chatting to my Father a few years ago when he moved back to Harborne after 50 years living elsewhere and we were talking about the pubs. I asked him if the New Inn was his local and he told me there was a pub next door to him (he was born in top floor bedroom of 60 Greenfield Road in July 1937). Dad would talk about his Father going and sometimes getting a lock in and then jumping over the garden wall to get home. My Dad was also sent to collect beer for take out and bring home, he now lives on Vivian Road just a few hundred yards from where he was born.

hi all. i am still keeping my eye on this page that i started a few years ago, putting the replies together I am thinking that the pub could not have been much bigger than a large house and was mainly used by local people. I have still not solved the mystery of his return here but I found out that his one daughter returned to Oz and married there and also one son but he returned shortly after and died in brum. thanks for all the info. Best regards Acklam19,(steerboy)

Coincidently, I have some (fairly distant) relatives who returned from Australia to Bham in 1899 and their children were born in Townsville Queensland, where your Mole children also appear to have been born.

So, possibly not an isolated/personal reason.

Hi MWS. Very interesting. My James Mole left Brisbane and arrived in Sidney to say goodbye to his mother I believe on the 28 Oct 1899 and returned to England that same year he was alone on this trip. His wife Mary Ann and their children Annie, James, Daisy and Stephen sailed on the Duke of Buckingham arriving in London 5 Aug 1899. All the children were born in Queensland but where I cannot say although Townsville rings a bell. regards Acklam19

The exact ship and date that my relatives returned to England on - Walter Thorp and his wife, Mary Ellen (nee Whitehouse). They are even listed on the same page of the passenger list!

The 1921 census lists Annie's and Stephen's birthplace as Townsville.

I have looked into the matter again after my previous post on the subject. Ther eis an advert in the Birmingham mail in 1886 asking for a lamp to go over a public house door. the address to reply is 62 Greenfield Road

Birm mail. 13.4.1886.jpg

In addition the online electoral rolls (which do not list every year and only occasionally lists a building as a pub), in 1930 names it as the Queen's Head.

ScreenHunter 6359.jpg

There are several other mentions of the Queens Head, Greenfield Road in the papers, though these do not give a road number

Birm Gaz.6.5.1892.jpgBirm mail. 28.9.1874.jpgBirm post. 6.5.1892.jpg

Hi MWS and Mikejee. Thankyou both for the updates I think I can picture the pub now as a proper drinking place. What a coincidence that the Moles returned on the same ship as your people. I have been Emailed by some distant relatives in Queensland and they still cannot understand why after arriving there in 1882 and with nearly all of his family members joining him in Oz over the following years that they would pack up and return to a dark dreary Brum as it would have been in 1900.
Regards Acklam19.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Hi.
I was led here by this coin token on eBay, and also wondered where this pub was. It presumably went under the name of Greenfield Tavern at some point. Interestingly, the spelling of Harborne is incorrect (unless that spelling was used at the time?).

Birmingham Greenfield Tavern Harbourne

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230817-005051.png
    Screenshot_20230817-005051.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20230817-005034.png
    Screenshot_20230817-005034.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Back