• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Queens Coronation 1953

I had such a booklet such as that shown in Post 8 at one time. I believe it is lost, but it may turn up amongst my library of books.
However, I have my copy of a book presented to me others,and other entitled The Coronation Gift Book for boys and girls. It contains eighty pages and was published by the Daily Graphic. It is quite comprehensive in detail.

There seem to have been a lot of souvenir books from the coronation. My mother had a grey hardback book. I scanned a few of the pictures thinking they might be wanted for the Jubilee but nothing came of it.

Attachments

• coronation001.jpg
    coronation001.jpg
    990 KB · Views: 9
  • coronation002.jpg
    coronation002.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 9
  • coronation003.jpg
    coronation003.jpg
    590.1 KB · Views: 10
  • coronation004.jpg
    coronation004.jpg
    629.6 KB · Views: 10
  • coronation005.jpg
    coronation005.jpg
    845.5 KB · Views: 9
  • coronation006.jpg
    coronation006.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
I recently found my certificate of participation for the event that was held in our street in the Maypole to celebrate the Queens Coronation in 1953. I wonder how many people have still got theirs. I lived in Sladepool Farm Road. Photo attachedView attachment 170602
I was there and remember that day well ! I seem to have spent my day sticking my head through our front room window saying "anything happening ?" and all the people inside, watching a rental TV, droning "NOOO"! Remember that great bonfire we had Dave ?

I remember the Coronation, it was a cold, windy, and rainy Tuesday. The street party was cancelled and all the youngsters were packed into someone's house for the party. The teenagers hung out in the street and watched some of the event on a 12" TV through someone's front window. In the evening we walked to Barr Beacon where we stood in light rain around a massive bonfire. On the previous Saturday there had been a Coronation Night at the old ice rink and our group skated round with with wire masts and small union flags on our skates ... they were different times ...

Three years later I was called up for National Service in the Royal Air Force.

I was there and remember that day well ! I seem to have spent my day sticking my head through our front room window saying "anything happening ?" and all the people inside, watching a rental TV, droning "NOOO"! Remember that great bonfire we had Dave ?
Sure do, it was certainly very big. I had an email the other day from my very first girl friend who lived at 104 Sladepool . She now lives in Ireland, and we email each other regularly. She also remembers the great bonfire and also reminded me that we had a street party to celebrate the coronation. We both took part in the street races. Did you take part in those.

Sure do, it was certainly very big. I had an email the other day from my very first girl friend who lived at 104 Sladepool . She now lives in Ireland, and we email each other regularly. She also remembers the great bonfire and also reminded me that we had a street party to celebrate the coronation. We both took part in the street races. Did you take part in those.
I can't remember the races but we sat at the party wearing our coats ! They built a stage on "The Island" and a dance troupe (Betty Barnes ?) did their best to cheer everybody up.

I was living in a prefab at Fairlea Crescent in Kings Norton in 1953, somehow they got hold of a rather large marquee for the street party and it was put up on a large area of grass and we were all in there.
Everyone in the crescent contributed something in the way of chairs, tables, food etc. They had our kitchen table for the coronation cake. All us kids were in fancy dress, me a pirate and my sister as the queen. A little girl dressed as a doll in a box won the fancy dress prize!

Back