• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wayne page

Hi, does anyone remember or know where about the Queens Beat Club was in Erdington please? I’ve come across a post recently and Jeff lynnes band ‘the idle race’ used to play there, as did a band called ‘the capitol systems’ who’s singer Bob Catley joined Magnum. I know of and where Mothers/Carlton ballroom was but have never heard of the Queens beat club before. Any info/photos would be great to see. Cheers.

Yes, I used to go there - the pub was the Queen's Head, Erdington - they had a large function room at the where many local bands played.

There is a thread about it with some photographs on the forum - search for the Queen's Head Erdington - I think it's in the Pubs section.

Edit: the pub has now been demolished.

Yes, I used to go there - the pub was the Queen's Head, Erdington - they had a large function room at the where many local bands played.

There is a thread about it with some photographs on the forum - search for the Queen's Head Erdington - I think it's in the Pubs section.

Thanks so much for your reply.
I have seen some posts about the Queens head pub. In fact my internet search for the Queens Beat club is what brought my attention to this forum and the posts about the pub. From what I’ve read it was located on six ways island, and was where the Tesco’s now is. Is that right? I saw some really old photos (at least one with a tram in it), but wasn’t convinced I could picture exactly where in Erdington it was (I live in Erdington towards wylde green but know around the area well)

Yes, it was on that corner, where the number 11 bus comes up from Stockland Green to the island, on the right hand side.
I haven't been up that way for years but I had a look on Google and yes, it was where Tesco is now - here...

Screenshot_20200624-162029_Maps.jpg

Friend of mine was a bouncer at the Queens for many years in the sixties.

Where Tesco's is now was Jacksons Furniture Shop and a car showroom. The Queens Hotel was next door to them. The Entrance to the club was in Reservoir Rd just before the railway.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 6a.jpg
    6a.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 28
  • SW 6 ways.jpg
    SW 6 ways.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 27
I use to go to the peppers club back in 1973 or 74 it was full of school kids around 14 or 15 years old .I cannot remember if they sold us alcohol or just soft drinks and it might of well been a special disco once a week for us kids but I know it was the place to go then cus it was always packed.

One night in the Queen head dance, i was approached by a nice looking girl who asked me if i would take her home. Feeling rather chuffed with myself i of course agreed. When we got to her house she confessed she only asked me to make her boyfriend jealous. I thought that`s not very nice, the next time i go to the Queens i`m going to get punched by some angry boyfriend. It turns out he wasn`t angry as he`d dumped her. Aint love fickle! I think it was the "Rockin` Berries" top of the bill that night singing their one & only hit record "He`s in town"

One night in the Queen head dance, i was approached by a nice looking girl who asked me if i would take her home. Feeling rather chuffed with myself i of course agreed. When we got to her house she confessed she only asked me to make her boyfriend jealous. I thought that`s not very nice, the next time i go to the Queens i`m going to get punched by some angry boyfriend. It turns out he wasn`t angry as he`d dumped her. Aint love fickle! I think it was the "Rockin` Berries" top of the bill that night singing their one & only hit record "He`s in town"
lucky you smudge mine was ugly.:grinning:

Back